Distribution line tree clearances graphic.

Totally unrealistic unless one lives in an arid rural area. Most urban/suburban and many rural area (small town) lots couldn’t accomodate those distances.

no reference for Redbug tree

there are trees known as Redbud

no reference for Redbug tree

there are trees known as Redbud

http://www.hydroquebec.com/vegetation-safety/index.html

not a graphic i’d use
regardless, what is a REDBUG

there are Redbud trees

I would call fire ants red bugs…

the voice of experience! :mrgreen:

So would this be a bad thing:D

Distribution lines have the right of way, and the graphic depicts the limitations on how and where you can plant trees around them. It has nothing to do with secondary power going to the house.

http://www.duke-energy.com/images/content/tree-trimming-dist-photo-2.jpg

[FONT=Helvetica][size=3]All trees will be trimmed to create a horizontal and
vertical distance of 5 feet from a service line or service lateral.
[/size][/FONT]:slight_smile:

Very interesting. Very different statements from two very similar graphics.

How are they different? They are the same, no?

Yes they are Nick, just a misconception from the viewers on Distribution lines and service laterals I believe. :slight_smile:

They are a bit different. That is why the clearances and distances of tall trees from the high voltage transmission lines (>10,000V on bare wires) vs the distribution lines ( <10,000V on bare wires) vs the service laterals (insulated “hot” wires from 120/240V to 600V+) may be different.

If a tree falls over and leans on a high voltage bare transmission/distribution line, it shorts it out and may shut down part of the grid and/or may start a fire. If a tree falls over and leans on a service lateral, usually nothing will happen. If it breaks the service lateral, it will only trip a breaker/blow a fuse at the transformer, thus affecting only those clients that are served from that particular transformer and usually not causing fire. In the last case, it may not even blow the fuse at the transformer if a dead short is not created.