Disturbing Data

Originally Posted By: dfrend
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just finished reading the latest version of Fire In the United States, published by USFA (a branch of FEMA). Just released, it tracks fire reports from 1992-2001.

The good news? Death and Injury rates continue to decrease.

The bad news? That fact does not tell the whole story. We are still more than double the rate of some European countries. And a large portion of of the deaths and injuries could be prevented, in part with our help.

Yes, more homes than ever have smoke alarms, in part due to past campaigns. But.......In homes with alarms, almost 50% did not work. And of the fire deaths, those with no or non-working alarms weree twice as likely to be killed. That means a WORKING alarm DOUBLES the chances of survival. And the majority of fires occur in older homes.

So..... at least educate them on the importance of testing the smoke alarms. And red flag non-working or missing alarms. This simple task can make the difference. Why will they listen to you? They may not, but.... keep in mind you have your client in a situation that professors would kill for. It is a prime learning mode. They have the motivation to learn and remember. THey are spending big money and have hired you to teach them basicly.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: dhartke

What is the leading cause of fire? Electrical? Undetermined origin? Other?

Originally Posted By: ekartal

I would venture to say over loaded circuits. icon_neutral.gif

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: dvalley

is the leading cause of home fires in the U.S. It is also the leading cause of home fire injuries. Cooking fires often result from unattended cooking and human error, rather than mechanical failure of stoves or ovens.

Careless smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths. Smoke alarms and smolder-resistant bedding and upholstered furniture are significant fire deterrents.

Heating is the second leading cause of residential fires and the second leading cause of fire deaths. However, heating fires are a larger problem in single family homes than in apartments. Unlike apartments, the heating systems in single family homes are often not professionally maintained.

Arson is both the third leading cause of residential fires and residential fire deaths. In commercial properties, arson is the major cause of deaths, injuries and dollar loss.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Guys as an electrician I have always hated that everyone assumes electrical systems are the prime cause of fires.

As Davids post shows many other things are well ahead of electrical, mostly human error.

Believe it not even the use of candles rates fairly high on the list.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Space heater fires here in the big city. The landlords don’t pay their gas bills and the poor are left with this dangerous choice.

Erol Kartal

David is right as is bob. The data I gave was injuries overall, but of fire s, cooking is the leading cause at 25%, Heating is close behind at 19%, Arson is the only other one with double digit percentage at 10%. Electrical distribution falls in at 8% and appliances at 7% the lowest reported is children playing which is ironic with all the money spent on campaigns for that.

Most of the injuries occur in the kitchen (cooking) hile most of the deaths occur in common areas and bedrooms (hence the need for smoke alarms).

Additionally, most of the stats vary depending on locale. In some areas, apartments are safer overall. In my area, most of the apartments are low income. I can tell you first hand we run at least 200% more fires in the low income apartments than the middle class homes.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: dhartke

Thanks gentlemen. I am shocked and relieved to get the facts.

I have never reported a "substandard, dangerously altered, cooking device" and I don't remember ever seeing a national add warning of the dangers of cooking. Second, the flue installation of a furnace or heater is about the only fire hazard found there. Bob, It's not the pros I worry about but the ignorant, mostly well meaning handyman or homeowner that leaves behind a visible ton of poor workmanship and I'm betting there is much more hidden behind the walls, ceilings and attic insulation.

We humans are indeed our own worst enemy which intensifies the need for working smoke detectors. We can to a great extent protect ourselves against human error.

Well said. I am certainly not proposing we can do much to eliminate the fires. But we can help reduce the deaths and injuries by checking, or at least mentioning the importance of working smoke alarms. Some areas go so far as to recommend all new ones at sale.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store