Family evacuated as gas fumes fill Brentwood home
BY MATTHEW CHAYES and JOSEPH MALLIA | http://m1.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif An extended family of 12, including an infant, were evacuated from a Brentwood home after being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes apparently caused by an unlawful heating system, fire and town officials said Friday.
The level of gas poison in the home was six times higher than the amount considered deadly, said Brentwood Fire Chief John Carney.
Emergency workers were dispatched to 124 Gibson Ave. to answer an emergency call that came in at 7:06 p.m. Thursday.
Islip Town inspectors also were called to the house, where they found illegal gas piping to the boiler and propane hooked up to a system designed for natural gas, officials said. They also found four illegal bedrooms in the basement, which was not habitable space, officials said.
One member of the family who is visiting for the holidays said he now realizes that the toxic gas was slowly poisoning them Thursday night as they relaxed in the house after dinner.
“My youngest son comes out and goes, ‘Daddy, I’ve got a headache,’ which is not normal,” said Luis Marcano, 33.
“And then my wife was complaining … that she wasn’t feeling well, and then my mom was complaining that she wasn’t feeling well,” he said.
Marcano, a machine operator who lives in Orlando, Fla., said he was visiting with his wife and two sons. He said his parents and three siblings live in the Gibson Avenue house. Three of his nieces and nephews were also there, he said.
Islip officials found seven violations, and the town will serve notice on these violations to the owners, Rafael and Teresa Portes, who do not live at the house. Neither could be reached for comment.
There was no prior history of multifamily code violations at the house, Islip Town spokeswoman Catherine Green said.
Marcano denied that the house where his family lived violates the town code.
Last month, two adults and a 4-year-old girl died after carbon monoxide fumes filled a condemned West Babylon home.