Do you check for gas leaks?

Tiff 8800A as a verification of odor smelled. I was once told by a wise old inspector, not to use analytical tools unless you sense there’s an existing problem. The more we do the more we get in trouble analogy.

“Sniff’n’Tiff” it is.

I like what Decker said about the screaming…I’ve used the Tiff and time or two and the clients are surprised–then happy that I found it.

Then a call to Gas & Electric Co. They usually are there within a few minutes and fix the leak. The seller’s happy when they learn about it (they thought they had smelled something), the buyer’s happy, the Realtor’s happy, the neighbor’s happy…

And at least twice I got to inspect the sellers’ new digs.

I don’t TIFF until I smell the gas.

I carry one of those on my belt; always on and last about 2 years.

http://www.officerstore.com/store/category.cfm/cid_3500_altair_/

http://www.officerstore.com/store/products/20061019090632_Photo1.jpg

Exactly…

Nose mostly, but i have a TIFF which i carefully run along gas pipes connections and unions just to be sure. However, i explain that if i cant reach or access it it, i cant test it .

Yup, nose first then the meter if something comes up. The one issue I see with using the nose is if you smell a gas odor in one part of the home, your olfactory senses may now be compromised and you smell gas all the time. If I smell gas once in the home or on the exterior, its the meter from then on out.

As my friend Will says, hope this helps.

My spray bottle never needs batteries.

Today’s technology is simply amazing.

Electronic detector using BPI protocol.

If you are going to do any Gas Leak detection work, some training would be in order, preferably following ASNT NDT guidelines. :wink:

I have a Tiff 8850, great tool. Was ridiculed by gas company employee when I called them to fix a gas leak. He mocked the Tiff and commented on how much more sensitive his equipment was. To which I said “The difference is you don’t have to pay for yours. If you did you wouldn’t buy what you are using now.” This really pissed him off and then he questions the accuracy of my findings because he couldn’t find anything. Turned on the Tiff and it went off in two places, he then retested and obtained measured readings of 1 and 2%. His jaw hit the floor and he had nothing further to say about the Tiff, or my abilities. LOL

I have been using a TPI combustible gas leak detector 720 for over 6 years.
In that time I’ve found four leaks.
Only one caution and that is it goes nuts if someone drops a f**t.