Do you inspect heating systems ?

Originally Posted By: krea
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi guys,

I was just curious how many of you inspectors out there inspect heating systems ?
How far do you go with it ?
that is, do you thoroughly check the combustion chamber as much as visually possible with eye/mirrors... .???? how far ?

thanks,
kevin

Originally Posted By: tallen

From the NACHI SOP:

2.4. Heating

I. The inspector shall inspect:

A. The heating system and describe the energy source and heating method using normal operating controls.
B. And report as in need of repair electric furnaces which do not operate.
C. And report if inspector deemed the furnace inaccessible.

II. The inspector is not required to:

A. Inspect or evaluate interiors of flues or chimneys, fire chambers, the heat exchanger, the humidifier or dehumidifier, the electronic air filter, solar heating systems or fuel tanks.
B. Inspect underground fuel tanks.
C. Determine the uniformity, temperature, flow, balance, distribution, size, capacity, BTU, or supply adequacy of the heating system.
D. Light pilot flames.
E. Activate heating, heat pump systems, or other heating systems when ambient temperatures or other circumstances are not conducive to safe operation or may damage the equipment.
F. Operate electronic thermostats.
G. Evaluate fuel quality.

It's up to you if you want to look further.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

i know all that…, but i am asking… what do you guys do…???

do you go further ??

kevin

Originally Posted By: jjackson

I will pull the cover and look at the chambers. I will check for leaks and measure CO.

jj

Originally Posted By: jsmith10

I go a little farther but ONLY because I am a licenced HVAC journeyman.

I always’s pull the cover off of the A/C coil as that will give a very good indication of how well maintained it has been and in some instances will indicate the possibility of mold (in the summer) I also reseal it with aluminum tape or silicone when I close it back up.

I do my best to check the chamber for cracks etc. but I do not disassemble anything as that is a Qualified technicians job who is being paid to service the equipment.

I also check for CO and leaks.

I don’t clean anything off as that is also part of a service check and can give indications to a technician if there is a problem.

I almost always’s suggest having the system checked/serviced as it’s to the new homeowners advantage to have this done.

I also let the client know that this is an extra service I perform at no additional charge. (marketing)

Joe,

Vice-President, Idaho Chapter,

www.NachiIdaho.org

Inspected as though my family are to live or work there.

http://www.Treasurevalleyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

Kevin, I stick with the SOP.

Odds are, I won't find an inspection sticker on the furnace dated within the past 12 months, so my "concerns" list usually mentions having the furnace checked by a Certified HVAC Tech. I don't even go with a CO tester, as that, I feel, only increases my liability.

Joe (above), knows all the HVAC stuff, and is both confident & competent in what he does in that dept. I need to be more CYA conscious; ignorance is bliss, & I'm a really happy guy!!! ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

--
Exploring Planet NACHI . . . One house at a time.

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.
Coeur d'Alene, ID Home Inspectors
Coeur d'Alene Home Inspectors

i really appreciate the feedback.

i asked this question because I was re-writing some of my reporting software and I was just thinking of adding to the heating area.

(that's what i get for 22 years in the computer business i guess..., always trying to improve the interface and website)

thanks alot!!

kevin rea
av home inspectors
http://www.avhomeinspectors.com