Do you know of anyone in a position of power who has voted to harm inspectors?

We are looking for any evidence that any government agency employee, legislator, or home inspector licensing/registration/advisory board member voted to deny course approval of any inspection course based on its delivery method being online.

After a 12-year study, the (http://www.nachi.org/forum/f14/online-beats-classroom.htm) that determined that online education is better than classroom education.

As many of you know, our industry has recently had a few serious injuries to inspectors in states where online education is not approved. InterNACHI knows of two inspectors who have been recently paralyzed do to ladder falls alone. It’s only a matter of time before we hear reports of deaths.

InterNACHI offers a free, online Safe Practices for the Home Inspector](http://www.nachi.org/safety_course.htm) course that would have prevented these serious injuries and several others including one serious injury to a client of an inspector. The course is open to all, online, free, and approved by nearly every state, government agency, or regulator board that has jurisdiction over home inspectors (see right column of www.nachi.org/education.htm )… nevertheless, it can’t achieve state approval in a few states due to a few inspector-harming, consumer-harming people.

We are looking for evidence that exposes anyone holding any public office or regulatory board seat who might have voted against better online inspector education in favor of weaker classroom education, thus contributing to these injuries and others in the future.

We are building a “Worst People in the Inspection Industry” website that explains why these people are responsible for these injuries to some degree and would like to include their names, contact information and pictures on the site.

Please send any information/evidence you have about these individuals to fastreply@nachi.org

I’ll personally send a bunch of great prizes and products to anyone who can help us determine who these people are and reveal them publicly.

The identity of anyone who assists us with this project will be kept private.

Thank you.

I don’t know that anyone has voted for it, but it is widely known in NJ that only a small amount of CEU classes are admissible. Even though many of Nachi’s classes are approved, they only allow a small amount of credit per license cycle.

They will not allow any online classes for initial licensing. We can however, sit in a classroom and look at old, useless Carson Dunlap power points and videos.

I will check our laws tomorrow and post anything I see.

A fellow inspector who was hurt badly on an inspection will be doing a www.nachi.tv interview and commenting on those who have rejected InterNACHI’s free, online Safe Practices for the Home Inspector](http://www.nachi.org/safety_course.htm) course. We want to insert pictures of these people into the show.

All you have to do is to look up the “Licensed” states whose “Licensing Boards” are controlled by ASHI members.

{Look up the board and “Google” their Board of Directors.}

You will probably notice that the NHIE is the ONLY recognized examination and that the 80-hour Carson Dunlop courses are written into the law!

Well, our free, online courses are approved almost everywhere (see right column of www.nachi.org/education.htm ) but we are doing a documentary and need a couple villains to expose publicly.

We need actual proof (board minutes or whatever) showing that some idiot voted to disapprove online education… and a photo of him/her.

I’m willing to pay hard cash for this if you can find it. We’re going to run the documentary all over the internet.

I can’t believe HI Boards would obstruct CE education just because its online or home study. Even as stupid as much of the Kansas laws are, I believe in Kansas our Home Inspection Registration Board Chairman has promoted and got the HI Board to vote to accept any CE course that is approved by ANY of the 3 major inspection associations.

Online/Correspondence courses are only accepted in Washington State for continuing education. If you don’t like it, you’ll have to get someone to introduce a bill in the legislature to change the law.

Oh, wait a minute - that was already done once this year and the bill died in committee.

Oh well.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike O’Handley, LHI
Your Inspector LLC.
Kenmore, Washington
Wa. Lic. Home Inspector #202

I feel for anyone, inspector or not, who has gotten injured. **BUT, any inspector can take any CE course that he chooses regardless of if his / her state licensing board approves it! **So to try to put the blame on a state licensing board for not approving a course is ridiculous. With that thinking in mind cant you also blame the inspector for not taking the course regardless of if it is approved or not? Many good inspectors take well over their required CE hours. What if he takes the course and still gets injured, should we blame you for not providing a better course?? Again it is horrible when anyone gets injured and sure it might have been avoided if he took you course but you are really reaching with this…

Peter makes a good point.

There are many free online courses that are excellent for home inspectors. I have a whole forum category dedicated to those at TIJ. The folks that provide those courses aren’t likely to spend the money and time it takes to get them approved by individual states so that they can be used for CEU’s but they are still very worthwhile courses nonetheless and inspectors should take advantage of them, CEU’s or not.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

There are only so many hours in the day and an inspector can only afford to spend a fixed amount of time on money on continuing education.

In licensed states, the biggest factor in determining which courses an inspector will choose, is approval for CE, so he/she can keep his license.

Compared to online courses, classroom courses are harmful to consumers.

NACHI.TV is in a unique position to expose those who are steering inspectors away from the best online course offerings by refusing to approve them. Their unconscionable actions and prejudice is harming consumers and maiming inspectors.

Nick I will agree all day long with you that NACHI’s online courses are very good. I will agree that they are better than some live classroom courses which I have received in my state. **But, **the argument of there are only so many hours in the day and a inspector can only afford to spend fixed amount of time on their education is weak. The CE requirement for everywhere, be it ASHI, NACHI, or any licensed state is LOW. Twenty hours of education a year is only 1.67 hours a month! To argue that someone cant find the time for a few extra hours a month is weak. I am sure some NACHI members spend more that that a day on the fourms.
Do you want to better the our industry? Start with NACHI. Raise the yearly CE requirement, request proof that each inspector has met that goal instead of current system of dont ask dont tell, and REQUIRE all NACHI inspectors new and old to take your Safe Practices course. What if I fall and hurt myself. Should I blame you for not requiring that I take the course as a NACHI member???
Again Nick for the record… Any injury is bad and your online courses are good, but this is a witch hunt that appears to serve other purposes.

InterNACHI’s free, online Safety Practices for the Home Inspector course](Safe Practices for the Home Inspector Course - InterNACHI®) is open to EVERYONE, not just members and is free to EVERYONE, not just members, and always has been. Anyone in the world can take it for free.

It appears that those who have connections to classroom inspection schools, specifically rejecting approval of such free, online courses, “serves a purpose” alright.

There are witches… witches that harm consumers and inspectors in return for personal financial gain.

Well, I can’t speak for other states, but I can say with certainty that our board attempted to get online training approved and our state’s AG nixed it because the RCW specifically says “classroom” training.

I also know with certainty that the last draft that WHILAG sent to the Senator before she introduced her bill in 2008 allowed for distance learning but that the Senator’s final version didn’t have it - perhaps because she was a college professor and a dean for a lot of years - which also explains her initial insistence on having more college-level educators on the board than home inspectors, which is why WHILAG fought her to a standstill for more than two years and forced her to compromise. She finally did get her one home inspector affiliated with a home inspection training program placed on the board, but he’s not allowed to be on the education committee or to review courses because it would be a conflict of interest.

That’s OK though - just keep spinning it, Nick. P.T. Barnum said that there’s a sucker born every minute, so I’m sure some will believe it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike O’Handley, LHI
Your Inspector LLC.
Kenmore, Washington
Wa. Lic. Home Inspector #202

I’m not worried about Washington State, Mike. Nearly all our free online courses are already approved in Washington: http://www.nachi.org/washington-approved-home-inspector-education.htm

Yes they are, for CEU’s…Now.

They weren’t approved prior to issuance of licenses; and, since the clock doesn’t start ticking until the inspector gets his initial license anyway, any courses taken prior to issuance of the license don’t count.

I don’t like it any more than anyone else, but that’s the way it is, so I have to live with it. You won’t see me making veiled empty threats against the board or DOL because of it though.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I agree. The board can’t carry forward courses a licensee took prior to licensing as that wouldn’t be “continuing” education IMHO. That would be past education.

Well I am checking out of this thread. If you really want to help the industry Nick clean up the NACHI back yard then tell others how to clean theirs. NACHI is one of many good organizations out there. Set it apart from the rest.

• require more than the industry standard 20’ish hours of CE
  • require that members summit proof of their CE’s each year
  • require members to take the Safety course if you really care
  • keep doing what you are doing with online CE’s

I am going to send you a email about something related. Again, checking out of this thread…

Good suggestions. We already do them.

Our Safety course has been our first continuing education membership requirement for about 2 years now: www.nachi.org/membership.htm

Each member’s online CE log automatically captures proof of course completion, digitally time-stamps them, auto emails the state if they are approved for CE in that member’s state, and adds them to the member’s educational transcript.

We already require 24 hours, more than any other major association.

This is pasted right out of the NJ regulations for home inspectors.

1. Successful completion of correspondence Internet
    or other distance learning courses approved by the
    Committee one continuing education unit per hour of
    course instruction as determined by the Committee to a
    maximum of 10 units per biennial registration period.

Sorry no pix of who voted for this. It is however, part of the laws of NJ. A biennial registration period is 40 credit hours. Only 10 are allowed to be online.