Do you move ceiling tile

Originally Posted By: bemelander
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Got a call back from a client. There was some problem with the heat ducts. The problem is the ducts are concealed above the drop ceiling. I did try to move some of the tiles at the inspection and they did not move freely.

Do any of you move ceiling tiles that don’t move freely.

Bill

--
Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

Originally Posted By: wdecker

If it won’t open or it is hard to open or to open it may cause damage, don’t open it. You are not responsible for what you can’t visually observe.

Will Decker

Decker Home Services

Skokie, IL 60076

wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: lkage

Bill, I’ve run into many dropped ceilings usually in basements. I try to get a look above whenever they’ll pop up especially under the plumbing areas above. But sometimes they are stuck in and damage would result so I disclaim:

The areas above the suspended ceiling were not readily accessible and therefore were not inspected. The tiles could not be removed without damaging them. I recommend that those areas be inspected when they are accessible to determine the condition of the components above.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: rmoore2

Ceiling tiles are tricky…If they don’t move…Put it in your report that that was unaccessable…and could not inspect it.

In Atlanta, just about all houses have basements…

Finished basements are really good for drop ceilings........If bathrooms or kitchens are above.......sometimes you may have a leak...... I have run across this situation.........where the home owner has replaced tiles days before the inspection, of course they claim they always have been there. Of course there was a leak. Thats why they replaced the tiles.....They thought I fall for that one ..NOPE !!................................
I make sure I disclaim it in my report, that way I'm covered .

Rule of thumb in this business is cover your A___#%.

Thanks, RM

www.prohomecheck.com

Originally Posted By: tgardner

I’ve inspected houses that the only way into the attic space was through the suspended ceiling.

Every once in a while, the insulation is still attached to the rafters ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I found a gem yesterday, An HVAC contractor cut the webs out of 3 consecutive trusses to install a return air duct. The seller's heart sagged along with the ceiling.

The truss manufacturer sent their design guy out to look late in the day - It will be interesting to hear what can be done to fix it.

tg

Originally Posted By: jkormos

I would have the owner move the tiles, those things get brittle and break very easily, and if there is a rodent problem look out below cause the mouse poop will fly icon_eek.gif