Do You Remember Where You Were?

That was something. I remember it well.

I was in the 9th grade and had gone home for lunch. When I returned my best friend told me “the President has been shot”. I yelled at him and told him that I did not think he was funny!
I was so mad I almost punched him in the eye!

Later when JFK and MLK were killed, I was a 17 year old Pfc. serving in Southeast Asia with the 1st Special Forces Group Airborne, 1st Special Forces a.k.a. the Green Berets.

5th Grade. Sister Mary Joan’s class. Sister Marie Antoinette (Principal) came in and made the announcement. All the girls cried.

Not this year George, back 50 years ago… :wink:

Was not born for another 20 years.

I was 10 years old watching the replays on a B&W TV with all the family in the living room.

It was a very sad day!

Oh!!! Well we all return to the things we did as a kid!! Lol after reading this I realized something … YOU GUYS ARE OLD!!!

Small edit.

Another small edit!

Originally Posted by gskeeters View Post
Oh!!! Well we all return to the things we did as a kid!! Lol after reading this I realized something … MOST OF YOU GUYS that are over 65 ARE Extremely experienced and full of invaluable wisdom that the younger newbies have yet to fathom!!!

Another big edit

I was in Gr. 2 in school about an hour from Detroit. Radio reports were put out to the school over the PA system. Very sad day, indeed. I too, remember watching B&W T.V. of the events over the next few days. Everyone was glued to the television.
I guess this puts me in the “old” category. :mrgreen:

Final edit… Don’t mess with old… I mean … Wise and extremely knowledgable men full of …uh…wisdom and experience …:slight_smile:

Something has been bugging me about this thread and the direction it took.
I get the gags about young and old etc. thats all in fun.

But for you “youngsters”, the assassination of President Kennedy was a watershed moment in our history, just as much as Lincolns.

His death may have led to many thousands of other deaths in Vietnam.
American and Vietnamese alike.
JFK was attempting to extract us from Vietnam, not deepen our dubious involvement there.

But Johnson took over and vastly expanded our involvement. Much to the delight of the arms manufacturers.

Kennedy was not averse to war but he did not see it utility of it in Vietnam. Most Americans did not.

It was an incredibly important moment in our countries history.
More deserving of recognition than it is getting here.

I was 1 year, 11 months. Looks like Jonas is a month older than myself. I Dont’ remember it, but my mom says I cried because she cried…

Demorats talk peace but love war when they control the machine.

…I.E. “Cuban Missile Crisis”???