Do you report Age of HVAC equipment?

Russell,
What were you doing in Louisiana?

I’m a native Texan and a graduate of Texas A&M, with a five-year stint living in Houston. I have a gazillionbazillion relatives in Louisiana: a stepsister in Chalmette, a niece right there where the 17th Street Canal failed, a mom formerly in Slidell (she evacuated to Utah and is not going to return), a nephew in east Slidell, and a sister and brother-in-law in west Slidell. My immediate family’s been in New Orleans and Slidell since 1972. Everyone lost their homes in Katrina except my sister and brother-in-law. Theirs had four feet of water in it, but theirs is the only home left in their neighborhood, out of 67 that once were there. Theirs was the last home built in the neighborhood, and they built their home on a 12-foot platform since they knew the neighborhood flooded regularly. That means there was 16 feet of water in the neighborhood and explains why theirs is the only one left.

My sister-in-law is from Mandeville. My brother was in Slidell before moving here to San Diego in 2002 to help me with my home inspection company.

I made 21 consecutive Mardi Gras–1973-1993–before I moved here to San Diego April 27, 1993.

Those are the kind (like tripping) where you look around to see if anyone saw you. :smiley:

Hey, I’m leaving tomorrow to go to Mandeville (got friends there). We’re taking our church’s youth group to do some post-Katrina construction (help out where needed) in Covington and Slidell.

If I see 'em, I’ll say “hey”.
Bruce

I think it is important for a home inspection report to include the date of manufacture of HVAC equipment and the water heater for a buyer to make an informed decision on purchase. If we get it wrong, we could be held liable.

Two suggestions to reduce liability;

1 - The air conditioning condenser’s date of manufacture is clearly marked on the label.
Show picture of label here_____________.

2 - The air conditioning condenser’s label does not clearly state the date of manufacture. The serial number suggests that it was manufactured in ______.
Disclaimer: Some manufacturers have been known to change their method of date coding in the serial number. Inspector assumes no liability for misinterpreting, or improperly decoding serial numbers, for the purpose of determining date of manufacture.

I do not give life expectancy. I have several web links at the bottom of my report so the client can get third party opinions.

It Seems To Me That All You Non Hvac Home Inspectors Should Find A Friend In The Air Conditioning Buisnes Buy Him A Coulple Of Beers Bring Him By Your House And Ask Him To Show You Everything He Knows About Hvac In Thirty Minutes And Learn How To Read A Manufacturers Tag

This is great variety between, and sometimes even within, manufacturers, though. That’s why at least two entities thought it would be useful to compile a book explaining manufacturers’ tags.

I always clean and photograph the whole component + all data plates on everything I inspect and include the close-up photo’s in the report and research for recall issues thru the CPSC. I also make it a point to include ***wording ***( in a different color)in the report on every component, the reasons why I do not make estimates as to when the component might fail or how long it should last in the description, limitations, and recommendation sections, plus the signed pre-inspection agreement. I know that’s a lot of redundancy, but if I ever get accused of something, it will not be failing to let my clients know what to expect. They will have it memorized (in living color) by the end of the report.

Who might be the manufacturer of said junk???

If one may ask…:wink:

I’m not following this thread much, sorry.

RR I’m glad to now know your family tree.

Yea, right!
I couldn’t tell you what I forgot about in 30 min!.

[/size][/FONT]**
I think it is a waste of time.

Why, Junkatrol! Your area is flooded with them!

I always state the “approximate” age… and I use that word “approximately” and state the Manufacturer just to have it in the report… Serial Numbers and Model number if a unit is an attic… California had a problem with Consilidated Industry furnaces, they caused fires… you really have to watch for these, about 30,000 of these furnaces are out there…who knows how many have not been replaced or caught over the years.

I think too much information can never hurt you in the long run, its “too” little information that can… The condition, the year, the make, they are all clues to the reliability of the system. And AGE and overall USE may be the biggest factor for wear and tear… I am always more cautious with reporting the “mid-life” system then I am the brand new, or furnace that is in obvious need of replacement…

And as for furnace systems that “used and abused”… possible cracked heat exchangers, over 20 years old, flame pattern is suspicious… I just recommend “replacement” of the system. Play it safe, and if the buyer plans on keeping it, the furnace and heat exchanger should be certified as safe by a licensed HVAC contractor and serviced annually thereafter, and inspected by the local Gas Utility Company for safety…

www.americandreamhomeinspection.net

There have been instances of people switching water heaters after the inspection. I’ve started shooting closeups of the data plates, labels and energy labels of wh’s, furnaces and AC’s. If I can pull the date of mfgr out of the serial number easily, I do it as a courtesy to the client. Furnace, AC and WH codes are on my website for anyone who wants them.

Thanks Kent, I had some but not all of those. Most of the time clients do like to know the age. Sometimes they use this to renegotiate the offer.

yes because florida law now requires it.

Fla law is not worked out yet is it?

Something you need to get changed.
There is no reason for it being law.
Call Jim Bushart, he can help.

If I can read the label I will report it had one Tuesday 1961 American standard could only read American standard 1961,did recommended replacement I don’t like reporting on estimated time left, I don’t know how and if it was serviced properly

Can you post why?

1961 AmStan works harder than anything you can “legally” buy today!

always if i can read the data plate and take photos also.

Dave
the flame on the heat exchanger was lifting, also excessive rust, I did however state they should call local gas company to confirm & thanks I did not know that about that model