Do you write a cost estimate for repair after inspection?

I’ve been inspecting since 1995. I’m not a contractor but, yes I do provide my clients with an estimate whenever it’s requested. I’m very comfortable in doing so. I do not provide a quote for work. If you happen to be in this line of work a year from now (thats a big if), you may actually find yourself doing so. I’ve seen a lot of inspectors come and go. Many like yourself started out not providing estimates and in time found themselves waiting for their phones to ring. Thats not to say that all inspectors do. But, Ill bet you dollars to donuts that more than you think do. Save this thread and if youre still here in a year or two, revisit it and see where you’re at then with regards to estimates.

Now it’s your turn to answer the question. How long have you’ve been inspecting for?

Bert

I was going to post a sample here but see it is an open thread…
NACHI Members / Email me if you would like a copy of the Cost Estimation template that I have been using since 2001…

1 Like

Joseph, I know this is an old old thread but do you still have a cost estimation template that you are willing to share. I tried to find your email but couldn’t. this is the thread that pulled up in searches under this topic. Thanks for the help!

I completely agree, Marcel.

A licensed general contractors estimate/s legitimize renegotiation’s during the sale of a home in my neck of the woods.

Standard of care of home inspectors and limitation of liability clauses

In Salgado v. Toth (November 11, 2009), the British Columbia Supreme Court considered the standard of care of a reasonably prudent home inspector and more importantly, the effectiveness or, moreover, ineffectiveness, of limitation of liability clauses in the professional context.
Negligence

The court found that Mr. Toth failed to “conduct the home inspection and prepare the report in a competent manner.” For example, Mr. Toth failed to warn the plaintiffs about rotting beams in the A frame’s structure. While he did identify two beams that were rotting, he failed to inspect the remaining beams, many of which showed signs of visible rot. He also estimated the cost of replacing the two beams he did identify at $4,000, while the actual cost was $35,000. Further, Mr. Toth failed to advise the Salgados to consult a structural engineer to determine the full extent of the problem, the total cost of which came to $90,000.

Think twice before write down some half baked estimate number you gleaned of the internet thinking you know more than they know.

How do you come up with your estimate figures?

No, as I do not know what each contractor in my area charges for services.

Put in it the agreemnent, report & email

**Please Note:
Repair Cost Estimates On Your Report Are Not Warranted:
If client desires repair cost estimates, a licensed contractor should be
contacted to prescribe repairs and provide scope of work bids.
Some repairs may require exhaustive trouble shooting including process of
elimination and/or water testing prior to determining repair cost.
Home inspector’s licensure requirements per Chapter 468 do not allow home inspectors to perform repairs on properties inspected and repair cost estimates are not required.