Document these in your report??

Well, and input??

1035 E MISSION DR 7-30-09 018.JPG

1035 E MISSION DR 7-30-09 022.JPG

1035 E MISSION DR 7-30-09 016.JPG

I inspected a Shack a couple weeks ago the girl had about 20 of um cookin trying to hide the foul odor of the never-can-hide Cat-**** which just about made my eyes water…the Cat-****, not the Candles—:smiley:

It was a short sale (as usual)…I said my those candles sure do smell better than the Cat-****, she said Thank You…:smiley:

I said you’re more than welcome and I appreciate you trying to help me out while I tip-toed around the stains in the carpeting hoping not to find a landmine.

Must of been strapped for cash before the bank was about to change the locks, I noticed a “Kitty Liter” box with shredded Phoenix Gazette paper in it, apparently the Felines liked the carpet better than the Gazette— :stuck_out_tongue:

Cant wait to see how you write that up!!! Yea people use candles and other items to make there homes smell good…Realtors do it all the time…So What!!! If you smell a skunk then let me know.

I inspected a house owned by a young couple a while back. They left once I arrived. The owners left with about 10 candles burning. And a cat was walking around the kitchen cabinet near one of them. I blew them out. They had such a number of them that I concluded it was standard practice.

No, I don’t document the presence of candles or owner stupidity in my reports.

I always try to walk through the house first to get a feel for the layout. I blow them out as I find them. I then do the outside and roof. By the time I come back in, I can usually smell what they were covering up. Regardless, almost every report I send out has a standard comment about smells/odors.

I haven’t run into excessive candles yet, but it is one of my pet peeves. My wife knows this well, she lights one, and I ask why there is fire in my house. If I did run into it, I would mention it in the report.

What possible difference would it make to the buyer whether or not the current owners enjoy candles? If you’re going to say it may be there to cover up odors, then I assume you write up every house with an air freshener also.

If the owner has open flames and leaves, you can be sure that I will document that fact. plus I am not responsible for pets left unattended.

Scenario: The house burns down 2 hours after you leave.

When the client gets your report 24 hours later and you’ve stated in it that candles were burning, everyone will know that you didn’t start the fire and everyone is relieved to hear it and no one will assume that you made it all up to cover the fact that you burned down their house.

And if the house didn’t burn down, you’re covered too.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I mention in my reports when there are what I consider excessive candles, air fresheners, etc. I do not need a call back about Oder’s.

I had one call about cat urine smell in a garage, it was early on in my career and thought anyone that walked into the garage would notice it. I learned that there are some clients that do not want to be responsible for anything regarding their new home purchase.

DSC04482.JPG

DSC04484.JPG

I absolutely agree Brian. I’ll document items obviously placed to mask odors such as this conspicuously placed in a crawl space behind the basement access panel.
I don’t like call backs either. :wink:
I simply document and let the owner explain from there especially on these flippers where the current owner “has no previous record…” to state in the disclosure because they “never lived there”.:wink:

DSC04482.JPG

Me either, but I do verbally let buyers beware of what’s being masked and what the possible financial burden could be if major repairs are needed.

Definite fire hazard…Theres a rise in residential fires because of candles…I would note it as a potential fire hazard.

David
www.pyramid-home-inspections.net

So in CA the candles are sold with the house? Just like a fridge or dishwasher?

I can hear buyers now as they walk the house - " Oooo, do these lovely candles come with the house?" :stuck_out_tongue: