Documenting Rentals?

I’ve been getting an increasing number of calls from tenants of rental homes with safety/health issues who are wanting to document the condition of the home.

What are some opinions on doing this?

Just do a regular inspection but make sure your PIA has the fees for any additional work or court waiting or appearance time charge. :grin: :+1: :thinking:

1 Like

It’s a legitimate issue. We have explored this here in Michigan., and believe it can be another source of income. I contacted the Oakland County Landlords association for direction. This can be a Pandora’s box if you’re not careful. Best approach is to have the tenants provide you with the landlords name, then check with the landlords association in that county. Chances are they know who the landlord is, and if there have been complaints. This is public record. However, there are many landlords that do not join the association. If you do decide to accommodate the complainant, you are best off to fully educate yourself on all current code rules for rentals in that jurisdiction. We typically do not want to get involved with code, but knowing this, will help you to identify certain issues that aren’t blatant. Good luck

1 Like

I came across this yesterday

](https://forum.nachi.org/t/guidelines-for-performing-a-home-inspection-for-a-property-tenant/152047?u=sclark8)

1 Like

Good thought. Maybe a separate contract for such jobs stating additional fees for appearing on their behalf?

Anything for money… Larry is spot on with his advice and I can’t be more in agreement. Pro-bono attorneys are notorious for non-paid subpoenas, and I include these caveats in any inspection where there’s a chance of litigation. In the case of landlord-tenant disputes, it’s an absolute certainty it’s going to court.

The only thing I can add is to be sure you are absolutely, positively unbiased in anything you document in your report. If the tenant is uber weird or anti-social, do yourself a favor and run, don’t walk away. If you want more fun advice and stories from the front lines, visit my blog at our website.
www.tokoriinc.com