Does a ceiling plug with an extension cord reel require a GFCI?

Does a ceiling plug that has a permanently installed extension cord reel that has a three outlet end on it need to be GFCI plug?

5 reels on different circuits.

The extension cord heads are pulled down to ground level to use in a wet location for 8 hours minimum. Builder says no because plug is on the roof. My point is that the plug it actually used on the floor not the ceiling and should require a GFCI. Am I wrong? Can a GFCI breaker be simply installed in the original breaker location?

In Chicago if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Where are they?

Is this commercial or residential?

Commercial. Animal hospital.

To be honest, I don’t know but I would recommend the gfcis.

Thanks for your help. Kind of conundrum with this.

GFCI requirements are for the most part based solely on the location of the receptacle. If the location requires GFCI protection then it must be provided. If using a GFCI receptacle it needs to be readily accessible, meaning among other things that it has to be reachable for testing otherwise a GFCI circuit breaker or other GFCI device must be used.

If it does not have GFCI protection and being used by employees, you would need to have the owner provide portable ones when it is being used, or the circuit gets protected by accessible GFCI.

Raised in Chicago and writing from Ohio, hello. My ceiling mounted outlet is wired to the GFCI outlet in my garage. Presently, the outlet in question is being used to power my garage door opener. I believe that YES, it should be backed up by a GFCI device. Especially when used with the reeled ceiling mounted extension cord. That extension could be used in just about any other location reachable, (wet, outside). Just remember Murphy’s law. Go Bears! :rugby_football:

Edwin

1. Section 210.8(A)(2) shall be modified to read:
    Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor located at or below
    grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas,
    work areas, and areas of similar use except for the receptacle located to
    serve a garage door opener when the device is a single receptacle and
    located in the ceiling.

The correct cite would be 210.8(B)(6) Indoor Wet Areas.

210.8(A)(2) applies to dwellings, not commercial facilities.

1 Like

I agree with Jim, the NEC specifically mentions “indoor wet locations” in the code section he cited. In this case the location within the animal hospital would need to meet the Article 100 definition of a wet location to require the GFCI protection.

Article 100:
Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete slabs
or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject
to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle wash‐
ing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

1 Like

I don’t know if it meets the Article 100 definition. I based it on the above which leads me to believe it would.

Your point? You should read my post before trying to correct me!

I don’t know either. Jason stated that it was a wet location and an animal hospital without more details. If it meets the NEC definition then your code section 210.8(B)(6) is applicable and GFCI protection is required.

Just trying to stick to the facts. Your comments had nothing to do with the OP and was going off-track to address someones home garage. I did not want someone to think your code cite had relevance to the OP.

1 Like

[quote=“jmilby, post:15, topic:157154, full:true”]
Just trying to stick to the facts. Your comments had nothing to do with the OP and was going off-track to address someones home garage. I did not want someone to think your code cite had relevance to the OP.

Jim, Edwin made a comment and i replied so he would know about an Ohioism that he was not aware of. Should i let him find out the hard way or help him and other Ohio inspectors?

I am sure that others knew that I was talking to Edwin, but thanks for making it perfectly clear.

Since we are not code officials the simple and safe answer would be, “Based on the possibility of the extension cord real outlet being used in a wet area GFCI protection in a readily accessible location such as a GFCI breaker installed in the breaker panel is recommended”. Sounds like the builder is chasing $$$. It would be up to the building owner/buyer to request the GFCI if the AHJ does not deem them necessary. .