Does anybody use a personal recording device?

Originally Posted By: dhadler
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Just wondering if any of you guys have tried a recording device during your inspections, then play it back to yourself later on at home and do up your report that way.

I'm thinking of this for the times I need to do an inspection by myself, so I don't need to spend so much time in the home. I'm always talking to myself anyway...thought it might work ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

I'd like to hear any thoughts...good or bad please.

Thanks
(My wife and I work together, it normally takes us about 3 hours to do an inspection, which includes the report on site.) When I'm by myself I take about 5 hours which is too long I know, but I am thorough. I figured I could use the recorder and only be in the house 2-3 hours and go home to finish up the paper work/report 1-2 hours.

--
Darrell Hadler
Five Star Home Inspections
Medicine Hat, Alberta CANADA

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Darrell…

I use an Olympus digital recorder. I hang it around my neck, where it stays during the whole inspection. Not having to write anything down keeps my hands free for tools and my eyes on the home.

I don't actually use it to write my reports as such. I used to transcribe the relelvant info first and then do my report which was time consuming...especially if you like talking to yourself. I now rely on memory and the photos to write the report and only play back the recording at the end to check if I missed anything.

I also have a cassette recorder which I use instead when I might need to keep the "notes" for a few days (such as pre-offer inspections) or do more than one a day.

Keep your comments short, take photos when possible of data plates, and use your memory as much as possible. This is working well for me, but keep in mind that I'm mostly a "one-a-day-is-enough-the-report-will-be ready-tomorrow" guy. Your usage may vary.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

Quote:
take photos when possible of data plates,

Excellent! I always take a lot of pics, but it never occurred to me to take pics of all the data plates. DUH!

Thanks

If I had to rely on my memory my report would only be one page. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: rmoore

tallen wrote:
If I had to rely on my memory my report would only be one page. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

LOL...I thought that too, but decided to try it one day and surprised myself. But there are limits. For instance if I have an older home with a bunch of ungrounded outlets in various places, I "report" their presence from memory but use the recording to fill in the actual locations.

A couple of other things on the digital recorder...

I considered getting the much more expensive model with USB connections with the thought that I could download the notes and have voice recognition software transcribe them. After listening to wind howling, traffic noise, and the client and realtor talking in the background, I'm glad I saved my money. I really don't think it would work too well.

I also surreptitiously record my pre-inspection spiel about once a month. Sometimes I just amuse myself, but it often leads to improvements.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

I have a checklist that I use. That way I make sure I do not forget anything.

I take my pda voice recorder for odd things, and to record the occasional >> "do me a favor? from a realtor. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

I am getting closer to the point that I might consider dropping my checklist, and rely on the pda.

I am confident that I have a fairly good grasp on the problems I may run into, but I sure do like my checklist.

That said I know I will always run into unexpected things that I know nothing about. That?s where this BB, and Google comes in.

I guess this might fit into the; "you know your a HI" category.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: dhadler

Thanks for the feedback fellows’. I guess digital is the way to go? Should I go for 3 Hours 6 14…do you use adaptors to hook it up to your computer for better sound?

Do you have voice activation or do you have to hold a button to record ? or do you just let it run the whole time your inspecting?

I've heard some even work from an ear plug piece that picks up the sound through the inner ear rather than a built in mic? Anyone have one of those babies? ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

--
Darrell Hadler
Five Star Home Inspections
Medicine Hat, Alberta CANADA

Originally Posted By: rwills

Like Richard I’m a One-a-day-guy however I don’t use a recorder. That’s just one more piece of equipment to break or lose knowing myself. I do take a lot of digital pictures though. On average I’d say 50 although most are reference photos and don’t go in the report. I tell the clients not to be alarmed by all the photos as most are reference. That way the agents don’t chew their fingers off thinking the photos are all defects. icon_cool.gif

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I started using a Sony digital voice recorder last year and love it. It has easily shaved 30 minutes off of my inspection time. It has a voice activation feature as well as continuous recording but I just press the button every time I need to record. The voice activation is OK but you don’t need to record all conversation on an inspection.

3 hours is plenty of storage space, even if you are doing 3 inspections a day. On my average inspection I record 80-100 notes and the average note is about 6-8 seconds in length. So 100 notes at 8 seconds a piece only adds up to a little more than 13 minutes. Plenty of room.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com