Does anyone carry a gun at inspections?

I carry everyday. Have only had one time where I felt my life was threatened enough to put my hand on my pistol (Ruger LCP) while inspecting. Newer, Clean neighborhood of townhouses, many used as short term rentals.

I was just putting my camera on my “Spectoscope” (telescoping pole) to get a look at the roof and I heard someone yelling/talking very loud and angry (figure it was a domestic dispute) about three units up from where I was inspecting. This guy comes out of that unit looking like a homeless, Howard Stern on meth! Long beard scraggly, long messed up hair, gray baggie sweatshirt, black knee length sweatpants with holes in them… Talking utter nonsense: Comes walking toward me. My left-hand holding the pole and my right hand goes into my front pocket grasping my pistol, all the while sort of keeping my pickup and him between us… He walks toward me, I grasped the pole stare right at him and tell him to stop. He stops about 10 feet away (my truck is between us and this move I guess was tactical on my behalf not even thinking of it) his eyes and face looked like an ax murderer… Looks right at me and says “get out of my face”. He then turns walks to my left and stays about 15 feet away and then a little further. Still talking utter nonsense very loudly.

When I felt I was out of immediate danger I put the pole down and called 911. I relayed what was going on to the dispatcher and did advise them that I was armed. I was on the phone with the 911 dispatcher for over 18 minutes before 3 cops finally show up all at the same time, three separate vehicles. Later I looked at Google maps and did some calculations. Where this happened was within three minutes of the City PD, and also the County Sheriff’s office and county jail, was also only three minutes away in the opposite direction.

The reason why it took 18 minutes for them is because similar to what we saw in Uvalde Texas, they serve and protect their own first, not the citizenry. (This is their training and is written into their SOP’s, what happened in Uvalde TX did not surprise me at all). I’m sure the first cop was probably there within a couple of minutes but they staged about a block away (I’m guessing) to wait for “their” backup. This is why they all showed up at the same time. When seconds count, cops might only be minutes away, but may not be there to help you for a lot longer than that… depending on their comfort level, you know (officer safety).

(I found out later that this guy was was a paranoid schizophrenic and I have since seen him walking and talking at several areas since. There was a local news report not long after my incident with him where he scared the hell out of a bunch of kids and their mothers at a nearby park).

5 Likes

That’s an awesome pocket-pistol. A buddy of mine has one on him all the time and you’d never know it.

1 Like

Coincidental Larry.
There I was in “the hood” of Riviera Beach a while ago.
Vacant repo on a lok-box.
When I pulled in the driveway & started to get my work box out I heard two big guys hanging out on the front porch across the street calling me.
Stuff like hey honky maggot is here ha ha

When I finished putting things back & I made the mistake of NOT knowing my surroundings.
I got hit on the back & turned around.
There were my new buddies grinning with their big gold teeth.
“Hey son, you got any money I can hold on to?”
Get lost go away
“I don’t think you understand son” as he proceeded to pull up his shirt
and put his hand on the handle of this big Crocodile Dundee buck knife.

Hey! I replied as I took three steps back.
I don’t want any trouble I got money in my wallet.
Out came the LCP. They immediately turned around & went back across the street yelling we’re coming back with a gun you’re dead.
I said hurry up I’m waiting.
I got in the car & took off.
What was the other option? Call the cops & then it’s just a he said/she said thing. They would have checked my gun to confirm I was licensed & it wasn’t a stolen murder weapon or something.

When I told a friend that was swat for FDLE, he told me I made two mistakes.
You should have shot him for presenting deadly force
You should have peed in you pants (so afraid for your life that I peed as evidence)

12 Likes

Yep, that is for sure!

If you’ve never had any " formal training" using a hand gun,
then seriously you have no business bringing one let alone using one. Spray for dogs, hand gun for people.

1 Like

If you were attacked by a dog you may feel different about dog-spray only.
I was viciously attacked inside the home.
The owner rushed out & put the dog down, lied to the vet it was a human bite case. Told him it was a danger to other animals. I reported it.
2 days later animal control informed me it was never vaccinated & I should start the shots immediately. Bastards had to pay me tons of money to prevent a lawsuit.

RabiesSerum 11-3-14

VAC Card

4 Likes

Strongly agree!

Good to know :+1:

3 Likes

If you’ve never had any formal training driving you shouldn’t drive your truck the inspection either.

4 Likes

I’ll have to remember that, Mark. :grimacing: :+1:

1 Like

There are tasers that work as well.

Not a good idea to carry a firearm on any personal property. These type shacks all have pit bulls, why I don’t know, must be some law of nature.
I’ve encountered pit bulls and others. I hear Pepper spray has been known to slow them down :roll_eyes: , give you time to get to your truck.
Federally owned properties I no longer inspect. USDA property is usually vacant and for some reason grows pit bulls.
Later speaking with the rep. concerning an encounter with one I was told no weapons allowed period. If I was even caught with a weapon on federally owned property it’s a felony. Not worth it, they can get somebody else…

2 Likes

You’re the only one in this thread with real world experience. Most posting here have no first hand experience with violence.

4 Likes

You should have peed in you pants (so afraid for your life that I peed as evidence)
I’ll have to remember that, Mark

Sometimes it’s hard to make yourself pee when you’re not on a toilet. Doing math in your head can help to distract you from subconsciously contracting your muscles in the groin region and allow you to.

1 Like

It was horrible!
Thank God my training kicked in to step back & offer my wallet.

3 Likes

Uh oh holster problem

I’m glad you were okay, Marc! :flushed:

3 Likes

I am curious how effective pepper spray is. If you read anecdotal reviews on Amazon, it appears you have about a 50/50 chance of the spray actually working. I suspect it just depends on the dog and it’s prey drive.

Unfortunately, having a knife handy is always a good idea. I wear a neck knife.

1 Like

I always carry… inspection or not. I too would have walked from that place

1 Like

Different products have different capsaicin potencies. Smaller keychain ones can be as weak as .35%. Bear mace is 1.34%.

This one looks like a good one for dogs. It’s 1%

1 Like