Does becoming a member automatically find you a sponser

Originally Posted By: Rey Williams
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does becoming a NACHI member automatically mean someone will sponser you as a real estate inspector?

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi Rey,

Not sure what you are talking about

sorry can't help

Carla

Instead of applying for the professional real estate license here in Tx I thought I would just apply for the real estate inspector’s one but I’ll need a sponsor and was thinking by becoming a member of NACHI they’ll automatically sponsor me. Does that make sense??

Originally Posted By: mbailey

Rey,

What do you mean by "sponsor"?

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Someone that’ll look over your reports as required by the Texas Real Estate Commission for a total of 175 inspections.

Originally Posted By: mbailey

Rey,

Thanks for the clarification? now that we now exactly what you are referring it may be easier to get your question answered.

I can tell you that is something that NACHI as a trade association does not do. But perhaps one our Texas based inspectors would like to jump in and help you with the information you need.

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: pgudek

Rey, Why don’t you let us know what part of TX your in, and what specifically would be required. Do you just need a PI to look over the report by fax, or is actual field review required?

I’m in the Dallas TX area. Also here’s the link to the Texas Real Estate Commission that has the information that I was referring to:

http://www.trec.state.tx.us/inspector/inspector_license_path_threetier.asp

They say "Before applying for the final stage of licensure, a Real Estate Inspector must have completed a minimum of 12 months of such licensure and performed a minimum of 175 inspections in addition to those performed while an Apprentice Inspector"

Originally Posted By: pgudek

Rey, did you already complete the apprentice requirement? It’s alot easier and quicker to just get the PI license by doing the education requirements and taking the test. They just put the education requirements up to over 350 hours though.

Originally Posted By: Al Roden

So your learning how to swim in a little pool and the thought of becoming a life gaurd at a crowded beach scares the pants off you - don’t feel bad, it’s not only understandable but par for the course.

Your supposed to feel that way. I went through the same thing. Instructors at the inspectors' school wouldn't let me ride with them to learn - either they were too busy or they justn't didn't want the hassle.

But forget the appentice license and just get the extra education required for the Professional Inspectors license - you need the education anyway.

And if you like, you can come on down here for a few days - even on a weekend if you like. I'll drum up several OLD and CRAPPY vacant houses for you to inspect and I'll have one of my guys inspect them after your done - I'll even supply you with the laptop and printer so you can do the report on the spot. You'll have no clients to worry about so you won't have to stress over being made a fool out of or having to come up with thousands for missed things.

I'll pretend to be the client - distract you every once in a while during the inspection and grill you about every little defect.

So, if you REALLY want to have a chance to develop your routine and build your confidence in a REAL life type situation, come on down - anytime. Really.

And if I like you and you don't hit on my wife, I'll even show you the in's and out's of doing the Official TexasWood-destroying Insect Inspection and report.
![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Wow. Thanks Al. Al is real NACHI member. Figuratively as well as literally, he just joined.

Welcome.

Nick

pgudek wrote:
Rey, did you already complete the apprentice requirement? It's alot easier and quicker to just get the PI license by doing the education requirements and taking the test. They just put the education requirements up to over 350 hours though.

Re:
Actually I already completed my hours and took the state exam and failed. It takes 120 to pass and I only made a 109 and I feel if I can't pass the exam then I won't do good on inspections.

Al Roden wrote:
So your learning how to swim in a little pool and the thought of becoming a life gaurd at a crowded beach scares the pants off you - don't feel bad, it's not only understandable but par for the course.

Your supposed to feel that way. I went through the same thing. Instructors at the inspectors' school wouldn't let me ride with them to learn - either they were too busy or they justn't didn't want the hassle.

But forget the appentice license and just get the extra education required for the Professional Inspectors license - you need the education anyway.

And if you like, you can come on down here for a few days - even on a weekend if you like. I'll drum up several OLD and CRAPPY vacant houses for you to inspect and I'll have one of my guys inspect them after your done - I'll even supply you with the laptop and printer so you can do the report on the spot. You'll have no clients to worry about so you won't have to stress over being made a fool out of or having to come up with thousands for missed things.

I'll pretend to be the client - distract you every once in a while during the inspection and grill you about every little defect.

So, if you REALLY want to have a chance to develop your routine and build your confidence in a REAL life type situation, come on down - anytime. Really.

And if I like you and you don't hit on my wife, I'll even show you the in's and out's of doing the Official TexasWood-destroying Insect Inspection and report.
![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Re: Are you serious? Can I really come down there and you'll teach me? How far is it from Dallas to Victoria?

Originally Posted By: aroden

Sure Rey, no problem…Victoria is about 5 hours south of you on Hwy. 77…dart out past the Dallas Zoo on I-35, hang a left onto Hwy. 77 at Waco and drive for another 3 hours and your here

We've got a variety of motels from Super 8 to a luxorious Fairfield Inn - a motel for every budget.

aroden wrote:
Sure Rey, no problem...Victoria is about 5 hours south of you on Hwy. 77...dart out past the Dallas Zoo on I-35, hang a left onto Hwy. 77 at Waco and drive for another 3 hours and your here

We've got a variety of motels from Super 8 to a luxorious Fairfield Inn - a motel for every budget.

Yikes, that's a bit too far!

Originally Posted By: kpapp

Rey, Welcome to NACHI

If you are serious about being a home inspector, 5hrs of driving for an offer like that, I would jump on it in a heart beat. Too bad my girl friend wont let me spend the $$ to come down there and take him up on that offer… Warmer down there icon_cool.gif . 5 hrs and maybe $30 for a room for a nite is a real real cheap education. Wish I was in your position.

Ken Papp

--

You gotta be kidding? Far? I used to make that drive every two weeks - changing up routes every time just to avoid the boredom. I kept an apartment off Eastridge in 75231 - the good side of Eastridge (the side without the drug dealers and prostitutes).

After a while the drive got monotonous, so I just left my van there and flew back and forth - same time traveling but less stress.

And that was just running a commercial pest control route - killing cockroches.

So I guess 'far' is relative. I flew to Pheonix for several days just to learn about mold, to Nashville and New Orleans for the inspection conventions, to Minnesota and Florida to learn about termites and have spent countless nights in hotel rooms in Houston, Austin and Dallas attending various educational classes - it all depends on how committed you are to learning your craft.

I see prospective inspectors complain ALL the time that nobody will let them ride with them and how they can't get another inspector to show them the ropes without paying thousands of dollars and sign no-compete clauses, etc.

It's amusing that I couldn't even GIVE it away. It kind of proves a point that its not the lack of willingness to help new inspectors that causes their distress but the lack of dedication and willingness to put forth the LEAST amount of effort.

Most new inspectors are drawn to this profession with dreams of easy money and that's why most fail at it - they don't want or cant' put forth any effort to learn.

Just food for thought.

pgudek wrote:

It takes 120 to pass and I only made a 109 and I feel if I can't pass the exam then I won't do good on inspections.

MANY people flunk the state test - it's really no big deal. I walked in there right out of inspector school, took the test and flunked by a few points. Mainly, I took it to see what was on it - to see what to study for.

I studied that night and went back the next morning - I passed it with no problems.

Just a LITTLE bit of determination and dedication goes along way. Find something you like to do and stick with it. Skills can be learned but nobody can teach you stick-to-it-ness or determination - it's just something you have to reach down inside and pull out for yourself.

Originally Posted By: wwarner

Well said Al… well said!

Bill[/quote]

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

It does not seem that far.

Ken Papp drove almost that far to tag along on a Commercial and Residential Inspection with me. To top it off there vwas a bad storm and half the town we were in was shut down due to Flooding.

Not a good day as my computer also died halfway thru the Inspection. We survived.

Ken:

How are you doing?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.