Does it need a clamp or bushing?

Originally Posted By: thejnicki
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/H/HPIM0607.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: jpope

It most certainly does. . . icon_wink.gif

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Thanks Jeff… I commonly see this application in house of this year, any explanation??

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

lazy sparky? not all, but the ones you see aparently. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: jpope

I would have to agree with Jay.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: brian winkle

Maybe that panel was added by a homeowner or a handyman. Is it a sub panel? I see this all the time with non proffessional installations. It also ticks me off to see fluorescent fixtures sold at Home depot to homeowners, they need a bushing or clamp for the romex entry, the manufacturer knows it’s needed, but they don’t put one in the box. So the fixture gets installed without one 99% since most DIYs don’t have a clue.

After years in the electrical business you can spot a non professional installation easily. Another giveaway I see all the time is emt outdoors put together with set screw connectors. And it usually contains romex. I do a lot of home inspection follow ups and I have yet to see this written up on a report.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

I am going with a home-owner installation.

I bet if you follow that romex, you'll find all kinds of strange and wondrous things!

Originally Posted By: wdecker

That is my main complaint with ROMEX. It makes electrical work appear to be easy and doable by Mr. Homeowner. They just slap it in, hardly ever secure it or secure it too tightly with staples almost cutting through the insulation.

Will Decker

Decker Home Services

Skokie, IL 60076

wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

I believe this was an original install from the builder… I see this frequently out here in cow town…

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Say it ain’t so!

We know an electrician would never do this!! Right Joe? ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I just did a house that was a custom built home 14 years old, original owners and a very nice home however, just the electrical discrepancies which were installed by an electrical contractor had: door bell transformer inside the panel, Romex not stapled of properly secured to the framing, the garbage dis posal wired with Romex, no NM clamp on the bottom of the disposal, outlet in the garage not GFCI protected, Weaver clamp (plumbing connector) on the ground rod, incandescent lampholder ceiling light in the foyer closet and a few other odds and ends. And all of this was passed by a county code inspector. I find this kind of stuff all the time. I know the homeowner didn’t do it because by his own admission he couldn’t pour pee out of a sneaker if the directions were written on the sole.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Doug the scary reality is a county code inspector does 30 or 40 a day around here. How much do you think he actually sees?

That is the main reason I am not a muni inspector. I can't do 30 a day and still sleep at night. I used to do more like 2 a day when I was a state inspector. (with lots of travel)

Good poimnt, Greg. These guys are very overworked, even here in our village (lots of tear downs and BIG houses going up).

This underlines the point that code inspection really doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot.

This, the need for us.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076

Greg,

I totally agree. The same goes for some electricians friends of mine who have told me they are pushed to do so many things often they have to invent short cuts to accomplish what their bosses want. One guy got so frustrated he finally quit and went to drive trucks long distance. He said he was worried something that he did might cause someone injury or property damages. He also said they were constantly jumping his behind and telling him, “We don’t care how they told you to do it in trade school, we don’t have time to do it that way”. As far as the county inspectors, I completely agree there as well, they are overworked and with the building boom that is going on at least here in Florida, it will only get worse. I guess some of our frustration stems from someone looking down their noses at HI and saying we don’t know what in the hell we are talking about yet there are those in those trades who apparently don’t either. I got my formal HI training and realized I didn’t know enough about the various trades and went on to Tech schools for the next four years and took all the courses they offered. It irks the heck out of me to have someone paint all home inspectors with that brush and assume just because a few don’t know as much as they do that all inspectors don’t. We have a few county inspectors here that (not electrical) that do not know diddley about their own trade. Had a mechanical inspector ask what the Yellow pipe was for going to the gas log set??? He had never seen yellow gas pipe in all his experence. Now that’s scary.

These points are all very good.

Most clients believe that a code inspection is the be all and end all standard for quality. Not true!

They believe that their contractor (new construction) does everything homself and personally supervises each and every connection. Not true!

I inspected a new house, last week. All the GFCIs in the kitchen (![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif) and bathrooms (7) would not trip from the tester, but tripped with the on-board button. The GFCIs in the garage and basement (different manufacturer) tripped OK. I called it out.

There was 17 to 21% voltage drop on the 2nd floor. I opened some of them up an they were back-stabbed. Some unqualified (but cheaper than a licensed and insured electrician) day laborer did the finish electrical. No grounding of ceiling fans. None of this was found by the code inspector. Clients could not believe that the code inspector didn't foind this. How many code inspectors actually test for voltage drop under load?

Educate! That is the key. Oh, and yes, do a good and complete inspection.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076

Originally Posted By: pcarter

On the subject of Municipal Building Inspectors, we have a real dooze here. He inspects maybe on a good day 3 homes. He has such a back log that’s its unbelievable. Then to top it off, the guy was a barber 5 years ago and one of his relatives who was a former city commissioner found him this job. Talk about politics. The locals are up in arms to get rid of this guy, but are having very little luck in doing so. Just fricking amazing. I could write a book on what has been missed and of course the contractors here love him. icon_rolleyes.gif

Patrick C.

Town & Country Home Inspection Services, LLC

(Serving S.E. Kansas, Cruising the 169)

In my village, I have met most of the code inspectors. They are good (and smart) guys. Our village actually has some requirements for the job (as opposed to being the nephew of the carpenter’s local president, like in Chicago).

It's just that new construction, aroumd here (not even counting re-modeling) has grown 384%, but their budget and personel has not.

They do a pretty good jib, considering. It's just that they are so overworked.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076

Nepotism is alive and well too. There was a job opening here for a Code Inforcement Officer a couple of years ago. Several experienced people applied for the job. The young lady they finally hired was about 21 years old and doesn’t know anything. That is only one example. I hate the good old boys network regardless of where it is but unfortunately it is rampent at all levels of civil service and government.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

In Florida a code inspector needs to be licensed and that license requires 5 years of experience plus a couple of tests. I am not sure how you can get a 21 year old inspector.

Will, I seem to remermber Mike Holt saying they don't license electricians in Illinois. It is an IBEW thing.

Greg;

Correct. Th eonly state licensed trades in Illinois are plumbers and roofers. The Unions held this up, but are no moving towards state licensing. Seems people were going to start holding the unions liable becasue they are the de facto authorizing agency.

That is why I say 'licensed electrical contractor' which means a person who has received a 'license' from the county or city to work as an electrician. Not the same.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076