Does licensing protect the public..

One reason licencing has taken place is force all inspectors to have insurance.

Another reason is to ensure the public that there is a registry of inspectors other than someones website, which assures nothing.

Another reason to ensure there are minimum standards being applied.

Another reason is to ensure licenced inspectors can be disciplined.

It takes the discipline out of the hands of associations which are not at arms length as home inspectors overseeing home inspectors doesn’t really meet the litmus test, and as I know does not ensure the member has a fair and impartial hearing by his colleagues. Outside oversight ensures there will be no special deals for friends of friends inside the association.

Of course none of these reasons ensures competence, I don’t think that was ever the intent of licencing nor does it ensure a standard of care.

Of course there maybe other reasons, but they allude my brain right now.

Right Gary, but you still need a driver’s license to drive.:wink:

Thanks Roy,perfect timing, I have been researching options all morning and came up with CanNachi as the most painless transition,came back to the post and your reply was there,this is all for future reference,if they do go license down the road, one of the 4 options will have to be taken,unless InterNachi sets up proctored exams for those interested and gets on the list,if that makes sense,thanks Roy.

You keep referring to the BBB for your information on the HI industry. Every HI with a longer history in the industry has a story or 2 or 3 about bad inspections. I have brought a few to the boards that were never reported to the BBB…it is a terrible source of info about HI…find some better info. Remember the info I provided about the Toronto BBB…the last place a person would want to deal with…yet you use BBB stats…Sad!!!

What’s your MPP’s Phone #…maybe he needs some outside info to upgrade what he’s being told!!

Most HI’s will not talk about the dirt in the industry as they do not want the future regulation to be too tough…let’s keep it all under the rug- mum’s the word!! I say the more stringent the training and certification, the better; can’t be worse than what’s out there today!!

You must be being coached by Wanda daily now, Roy. I can see it in your posts…disparaging remarks that even insinuate and insult the demeanour of my family?
“I expect his wife and kids are very timid with all his shouting he must do at home”

How low can you go, Roy? You definitely are sick!! And people hold you up as the great example of an INACHI leader…they should set their sights much, much higher!

Just FYI:

My wife was a manager and one time executive chef of a high end cottage rental/dining establishment with 8-9 employees. She has just started a high end catering business…no, she’s not too timid with her Irish ancestry/temperament, red hair and an artist’s mind/eye.

For her March Break, my daughter, a 3rd year university student, just did her second volunteer stint in Central America with the non-religious Global Medical Brigades- a week+ in remote, rural Honduras. She paid the $2000 flight cost from her own monies; I paid for her shots, medications and other extras. She had no desire to go to Whistler, Daytona Beach, Cancun as many others she knows do…she’s her own person with a high college average and possibly on the way to being a doctor to work in the Third world!! The summer between high school and college, her first stint in Central America (again paid by her own $$$ earned working weekends at a gas bar during the whole grade 12 year) was in Costa Rica to help build a medical clinic. Not too timid!!

My son is working part-time, supporting a child and attending university studying International Development and Sustainability. He is the Liason Officer between the University student council and the administration on green issues…not too timid!!

http://www.ahi-ns.ca/inspector.htm web site
taught the “Building Science” and you do have a teaching certificate from what School .
You Complain about NACHI teaching and you advertise you are ( www.nca-anc.com](http://www.nca-anc.com/) ). approved by a self appointed Group.
Ask your prospective inspector if they: (1) have worked in the trades, (2) have any trade certificates, (3) the length of time they have been involved in the building and inspection industries. and what trade certificate does Brian have .

You say on your web site ("Presently, there are no government regulations for the home inspection industry, allowing persons from fields unrelated to the building industry to become home inspectors. ") then turn around an chastise NACHI and its members .

Brian can you please show me in the ASHI SOP where it is proper for a home Inspector to report foamed filled boxes to the Hydro authorities .
(" [FONT=Arial][size=2]No insulations allowed in electrical boxes.
In Moncton, 1988 or 89, what I found in a house inspection eventually helped put a franchise “airsealing” company out of business. Their technique to stop air leakage at receptacle, switch and octogon boxes installed in exterior walls was to fill the box with expanding polyurethane foam…great airseal practice but AGAINST THE CODE!

I phoned the local elect. inspector at 8 PM at home that night… got him up from watching a Yankees playoff game (he was a Yankee fan). Explained what I had found and he verified it at the house first thing the next morning. He went directly the the franchise office, demanded their sales records under threat of calling in the police and then verified that this was repeated standard procedure in a few more homes! ")
[/FONT][/size]

Brian spouts off the following.

For someone who continually pines for recognition you just don’t get it!

Whether you agree with the mandate of the BBB the fact is they compiled stats which call into dispute your nauseating refrains that there is a problem within the industry. One or two examples you throw out are not statistically significant. The BBB data is real time info they take the complaints at face value. Your argument deriding BBB is moot so far as complaint stats.

Roy doesn’t call me to be consulted anymore then you call Bill Mullen to ask him if you should change the oil in your motor mouth.

Get over yourself and your need to continually fall into the gutter you so frequent with name calling.

Now back up your theories that there is massive consumer victimization by home inspectors or shut up for once!

The only sad spectre here is you bragging and trying to prove points which you have continually failed to do.

(“Originally Posted by Brian A. MacNeish http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
*Your reasoning again lacks, Roy!!”) *

Brian do you mean it is OK for the public to be ripped of by unethical car sales and Unethical repair bandits .
*That was what this post is about unethical treatment of the public *

[/quote]

Don’t try to treat fraud/dishonesty by licensed mechanics with fancy terms to try to save face!!! Your point was to try to say that licensing of HI’s will not protect the public …just look at what’s happened with car mechanics- 73% of them are crooks!! See below*

By your twisted reasoning, licensing makes people dishonest!!! HUH!!! LOLOLOLOL

Originally Posted by rcooke

](http://www.nachi.org/forum/f48/does-licensing-protect-public-59832/misc/post770148.html#post770148)
**** Does licensing protect the public…** *

See W5 (CTV) 7PM Saturday April 9th on how a licensed trade treats the Public

Here is the W5 Program… Roy
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110408/w5-the-mechanic-110409/

73% of Licensed Mechanics rip of the public in this program

[FONT=Arial][size=2]Compared to other groups Home Inspectors have a great record "

[/FONT][/size]

No, it will not protect the public from dishonest HI’s but it will at least mean that the public should have some degree of assurance that any HI they hire has a decent amount of training, testing and experience!! (That’s if strong laws/regulations are enacted, not some of the “barely” regulations like in some states…again check out Texas as a good starting point!!)

Roy

As usual Brian cannot justify his arguments. I am do not have a trade background per se as Brian continually says is required, yet I am a respected experienced inspector.

There goes another theory of Brians!

And his website is wrong, likely old info as much of his diatribes are as BC is a province which licences home inspectors.

Roy you have to remember the electrical story and insulation is an embellishment by Brian and more importantly ‘hearsay’ which as you and I know has no credibility in a court of law.

Oh well another make believe story by Brian!

Don’t try to treat fraud/dishonesty of mechanics with fancy terms! to try to save face!!! Your point was to try to say that licensing of HI’s will not protect the public!! See below*

Originally Posted by rcooke

](Does licensing protect the public.. - Canadian Home Inspectors - InterNACHI®️ Forum)
** Does licensing protect the public…

See W5 (CTV) 7PM Saturday April 9th on how a licensed trade treats the Public*

Here is the W5 Program… Roy
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110408/w5-the-mechanic-110409/

73% of Licensed Mechanics rip of the public in this program

**[FONT=Arial][size=2]Compared to other groups Home Inspectors have a great record "

**[/FONT][/size]

No, it will not protect the public from dishonest HI’s but it will at least mean that the public should have some degree of assurance that any HI they hire has a decent amount of training, testing and experience!! (That’s if strong laws/regulations are enacted, not some of the “barely” regulations like in some states…again check out Texas as a good starting point!!)

[/quote]

Which leads me to ask Brian:

Who is protecting the public from Brian? :mrgreen:

Oh… I know the National Cert. is supposedly protecting the public from Brian, the only problem with that is is that CAHPI management has been siphoning off funds for other purposes. And that is a pretty much well known fact.

Don’t you all find it interesting Brian never mentions that little tasty tidbit?
Shameful Brian you detest so much but remain silent on fraudulent activities! Shame on you!

Brian…Please answer the above Thanks .
Strange how you are all alone on this string with your ideas.

I don’t want to get into a bidding war, but since you want to talk about price, let’s look long-term
NHICC - Original fee $ 550.
CanNACHI - Original fee $ 350 ???

Annual renewals are $ 125. at the NHICC. …for CanNACHI they are $ 350.

After five years where have you spent the most money ??
NHICC - $ 1,050.
CanNACHI $ 1,750.

After ten years…
NHICC - $ 1,675.
CanNACHI $ 3,500.

…and the NHICC has been recognized by CMHC and other federal agencies as being qualified to deliver the National Certification Program.

That being said, I also encourage inspectors to become members of one of the associations (including PHPIC, CanNACHI, iNACHI, CAHPI, ACHI, ASHI, etc.) for many other reasons, since the NHICC is a Certifying body only, not an association.

I think you are doing this correctly by doing your research. Only you can decide what is best for you and your business.

Bill Mullen

WOW ! thanks Bill at Cannachi he is a member of an association .
He has the use of the Cannachi forum .
I kind of think if he is a CANNACHI member he also might be a member of the worlds largest Home Inspection association .
Thats the one that allows NON members like you to post learn and trade information like you are doing at this time .
I see little advantage to belonging to a self appointed group who seldom give information and answer questions.

**That’s comforting, Roy, because if you ever became a National Certificate Holder through the NHICC I would renounce mine immediately. **

Roy:

It’s unfortunate that I and others can’t try to clarify things for people without being denigrated by you.

I find it interesting that you are no doubt referring to the NHICC as a ‘self-appointed group’ when in actuality it is the only directly elected body around. NHICC Board members were elected into office by the National Certificate Holders.

Please tell me who elected the leaders of iNACHI, ACHI, or CanNACHI. Would you not consider them to be self-appointed ??

Anway, I apologize to Mr. Tasker who was looking for information, which I tried to provide. but his quest has been hijacked by Roy Cooke, who is well known for this type of nonsense.

Bill Mullen

Thanks Bill but I do not feel you as a visitor have shown where I or others should co-operate with you and your cohorts.
We welcome you but unfortunately you give no answers and have ridiculed too often on the NACHI site to be deserved to be treated any different then you have treated me and others over the years.
You are reaping what you have sown.
Glad to see you are now starting to offer apologies .
Sorry Bill I would love to think you have changed but I do not think you have .

Remember Whistler
http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4935
Bill has a big anouncement comming soon
http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=166560&postcount

OAHI has an elected BOD which are voted in by the members.

Who are the NHICC – Directors and Certification Council members, the NHICC does not have this vitally important public information.

But aren’t national cert. holders home inspectors who are electing other members? Sure does not sound independent it sounds more along the lines home inspectors overseeing home inspectors?

I don’t feel the NHICC can make claims of being at arms length to home inspection associations when you have PHPIC set up to direct its members to become Nat. Cert. holders.

Roy I think u should join! :mrgreen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mullen http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
***That’s comforting, Roy, because if you ever became a National Certificate Holder through the NHICC I would renounce mine immediately. ***

Ray if I thought that would hapen I would gladly do it . Bill has told so many false stories over the years .
I know he would never leave his Baby .
He thinks NCH is great but it looks to me like it is on life support .
I do look forward to the day , when we have a meeting with the government ,It could be great .
I would love to sit oppisite Bill and hope he does not have a heart attack.
You see I do like Bill and appreciate many of the things he has done .
Unfortunatly he seems to dislike me .
I worked in Construction for too many years to hold a grudge for more then about 30 seconds .
Life is too short to spoil it .

Claude
W5 Program show how well it is not working in BC and the rest of Canada.
and yesterday Star shows how well regulations are not working in Toronto.
Make all the rules you want but if there is not the Power to punish then why bother .

BBB has shown lots of Complaints and very few where Home Inspectors .
Homies where way down the list in 2008 ,
2010 even less complaints .

Talking to our MPP and he says they do not see where they need to regulate Home Inspectors at this time to many other more serious places need regulations .
Just because Claude you and your friends make lots on noise does not mean changes are coming

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110408/w5-the-mechanic-110409/](http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110408/w5-the-mechanic-110409/)

http://www.thestar.com/business/auto…ting-to-happen

http://www.thestar.com/business/auto/article/971960–illegal-car-vendor-a-defiant-cowboy