Does Onsite reporting software exist?

Hi Members, I know these software questions have been beat to death. Ive searched the forum and most everything that I could find seemed like it was a couple years old on this topic. I know some are fans and some aren’t but would like the option of being able to complete them onsite so the majority of the work is finished.

So, does onsite reporting software exist?

Thanks, Paul

All the softwares are able to be finished onsite if you want to run the risk of overlooking something and having your client wait for you to finish filling in the details

2 Likes

You will need to demo them and decide for yourself. Everyone is going to give you “their” opinion… my take is they all suck (despite best effort by the developers)… as in much more room for improvement. So you will have to “choose” the best one for “you” and go from there. GL

HomeGauge - I have used it 15? years.

I have an $100 Android and do most of the report onsite. I always finish the report at home.

You do the work - upload it - download it to your laptop or desktop.

Excellent software - 2nd to none!!!

https://www.homegauge.com/

3 Likes

Adobe Professional. Instant picture insertion and resizing, voice to text on the phone, most of the inspection is done onsite. If I really wanted to, I could bring my laptop and printer and print the reports out onsite.
I did that back in the 90s…

1 Like

Thanks for the comments guys.

Does Home Gauge and HIP both allow you to upload custom templates that others have created?

Also, is there any major differences between the two that might be beneficial to know starting out?

All the Best!

Yes, both HIP and HG allow you to use custom templates created by others.

HIP has a nice video tutorial as well as a webinar you can sign up for. All I have so far is the trial version to explore, but both are offered during the trial. Good test run. Just sharing

I was going through my archives and I found an Acroform of the Four Point report that you and I worked on together in 2012. Back then, Acrobat Pro did not support inserting images. It also had a bug for a long time with radio buttons.

Inserting pictures in an Acroform is now supported but it is not smooth as it is with an XFA (Dynamic) PDF. Aside from the pictures, a big advantage of an XFA PDF is that XFAs are expandable.

I’ve been doing my reports onsite for 20 years. I use InspectorLogic Pro which is an XFA report created with Adobe Experience Manager Designer. AEM Designer can do many things that Acrobat Pro can’t do.

The argument about missing something when doing reports on site has never made any sense to me. If you missed something, would you rather find out while you were still at the property and can go look at it or when you are back at your office or at home and can’t go back to look at it?

Paul, I’ve always done my reports on site. The software is only part of the equation. You also have to develop a good workflow and good report writing skills.

Over the years, I’ve used all our software in the field to do reports. I use InspectorLogic Pro for most of my home inspections. I use Vanguard occasionally for home Inspections and for specialty inspections. Regardless of which software I use, my goal is to do the reports on site whenever possible.

There are, of course, exceptions. If, for example, I am in a building with no heat and the temperature is 15 degrees below zero, or there are rats running across my feet, I’ll go back to the office to do the report.

Paul, you have to do your own homework. Here’s how…
Read Choosing Inspection Software, and then visit the different software companies (listed at the end of the article) and compare their features. Narrow it down to 3 or 4 choices based on features and price and test drive those to see which systems are easiest for you to operate operate.

As far as mobile (onsite) inspecting, different inspection software programs use different approaches and some are more effective and user friendly than others. You’ll find out more about that fairly quickly by looking at their “Features” sections.

If, after looking through the sites and trying out a few you still have questions, you can contact the software manufacturer directly, or for a less biased opinion, Spectora, Home Inspector Pro, and HomeGauge have their own forums on this message board where you can ask questions, Home Inspector Pro has its own message board, and you can ask questions about any software on this forum.

So there you go… if you do the homework you’ll be a lot happier with the software you wind up with.

Yes, I remember those days!
Livecycle is the companion to Adobe Pro, which does allow the insertion of pictures. And there must have some sort of bug fix as now, all the pictures populate where they are supposed to when you transfer the file to the desktop. As an example, the first picture I take is the front of the house. I include the 4-point and wind mit forms in my template, so now, I can go to the first picture on the wind mit, front elevation, take the picture, insert it and it appears on the 4-point and home inspection. Same thing with the 4-point minimum pictures.

When I finish the 4-point and wind mit, several parts of the home inspection report are automatically completed.

As for the radio buttons, I don’t know if it ever got solved. I just used check boxes and change the check mark to a circle or square.

I may look into Inspector Logic…provided I don’t retire first! :slight_smile:

Eric, Adobe discontinued Live Cycle Designer a few years ago. They replaced it with Adobe Experience Manager Designer. They also made a lot of changes to Acrobat Pro. They removed many features from it for a while but brought them back in a completely different form. Two examples are the Global feature that you mentioned and the radio buttons. Global attributes are now set automatically when designing a form in Acrobat Pro. In AEM Designer, you can have the Global property set or use the Local Name. The nice thing about the way Acrobat Pro does it is that you don’t have to remember to set the fields as Global. The disadvantage is that you cannot do customize fields the way AEM Designer allows.

Radio buttons in the old Acrobat Pro were a nightmare to program. They didn’t work at all in Acrobat Pro for a while. The completely redesigned radio buttons in the new Acrobat Pro. It is easier now than ever to create radio buttons in Acrobat Pro. However, like most things with Adobe, the documentation is not easy to find. If radio buttons are intuitive to a forms designer, instructions are not needed though because it is so easy now. As with everything else, AEM Designer give you much more control over how radio buttons work but there is also more work in setting them up.

The biggest improvement to Acrobat Pro, in my opinion, is that it now directly supports inserting images. It would be nice if inserting images worked the same in Acrobat Pro as it does in AEM Designer.

The biggest drawback to Acrobat Pro is that it cannot create XFA PDFs. My InspectorLogic Pro, Wind Mitigation, Four Point, Roof Inspection, WDO, WDI, etc. report are all expandable. The user can put in an unlimited number of comments and photos just by clicking on a button.

Thanks, much appreciated!