Does our new agent-targeted video disrespect inspectors?

We did one small test run and the agents gobbled it up and bought many books. It was our best direct-response test campaign with agents since we offered free InterNACHI mousepads.

The advantage is that the book heavily promotes members and reminds agents where to find InterNACHI inspectors.

The disadvantage is that it kind of reinforces a stereotype that agents have about inspection reports.

Does the advantage outweigh the disadvantage? If not, we won’t launch the campaign

Anyway, here is the e-mail video we created to test the campaign: http://www.nachi.org/now-agents.htm

Please offer your comments, good or bad. The main question is it wise to depict inspection reports in a way that many agents imagine them in their own heads in order to get them to use a book that recommends InterNACHI members?

I kind of feel it might be taking one step backwards to take two forwards… which would be great.

Kind of humorous, but I wouldn’t launch it. The inspector looks like “here ya go and see ya!” IMO He looks kinda dorky flashing his light at you and doesn’t depict a professional inspector.

I kind of agree with the depiction, but the dang test run put cases of books into agent’s hands. Books that promote members.

I take, “If your report sucks, you can use this book to interpret it” from that video. I use the book to add value to the report binder that I give out. I do not use it as a secret decoder for my reports. I describe the book as a maintenance manual to my clients.

I feel that the only thing that promotes me is the label that I put on the front cover.

It’s horrible…makes the inspector look like a doofus and that only INACHI’s book can decipher what he’s mucked up. That ad is not in the best interest of inspectors…it might sell more INACHI books though.

The biggest concern that agents have is that a reasonably written inspection report still scares the buyer. I believe that the success of the test market can be attributed to this fact. So when we remake the video, we still need it to hinge on this real concern for it to be successful. If we get it just right, it appears we can end up with hundreds of thousands of InterNACHI member promo pieces floating around the real estate community.

Don’t have the inspector plop the report into the client’s hand, don’t have him wave bye, don’t shine the flashlight in the reader’s eyes…present him much more professionally, make it a joint inspector/INACHI effort to make sure the client understands the contents of the report. Don’t make it look like INACHI is riding to the client’s rescue. Make it look like the inspector and INACHI are there together to help.

I agree Michael.

I think a report scares the agent and scares the seller. I haven’t had a scared buyer yet. Buyer have been disappointed in what was found due to emotional attachment, but not scared.

Great promo for Ben’s books? Yes.
Great promo for the Organization? Better go back to the drawing board.

Don’t worry, when houses start selling again…WE will buy the books. We don’t need agents with them. IMHO.

My biggest issue is the video promotes Agents thinking we should be rushing through the report checklist style so we can give it on site.

The truth is that the vast majority of Inspectors do the report from home so that the report is accurate and thought out.
Now in days the report is delivered by PDF with well placed pictures to back up the issues that we find .

This video promotes an old concept of how reports are delivered and hurts the modern inspector.

It is great that you wish to promote your publications, but not so great at portraying what a real inspection is all about.
Since this is a Inspector/member association perhaps the focus should be on promoting Inspectors rather than NACHI publications at our expense.

Agents already make up almost 1/2 of all sales of that book which is now in its 4th edition. But that’s only because there are so many more agents than inspectors.

Good point Bob. I know Chris is working on a digital version as we speak.

Thanks.
The guy does a good job of using big gestures to emphasize the actual foreground focus of the speaker and is successful from that point of view.

Look forward to a updated version however and would love to see that type creativity promoting the better educated Inspector aspect in a future video.

Give Agents a reason why so many inspectors stick around past the newbie stage.

Okay, you asked. I had my wife view without any input from me. She thought the inspector in the video looked like a jackass, hamming it up and being goofy. She thought the lady doing the talking was fine but that the colored up report with red markings was not realistic (maybe in someone else’s world but not mine). Her take was having the inspector doing (in her words) “inspector stuff” like looking at something with the flashlight rather than flashing it in the eyes of the viewers, climbing a ladder. My take was lose the entire thought about the report being confusing and difficult to understand because many Realtors already think Inspectors are the spawn of hell and this just creates more negative feelings where none may not have existed before. The inspector definately needs to be changed. He looked more like someones’ dumbass assistant rather than a professional inspector.

Nick,

Our job is to report facts. If it scares our client out of buying the house so be it. I could care less what a realtor thinks about my report. What really matters both the realtor and the inspector look out for the best interest of the client. If a realtor doesn’t want that full time job then they have no place doing business with me. That’s a video you need to produce.

How about a TOTALLY different angle which portrays us AS professionals and not idiot with a crayon and flashlight.

Why not say "in todays Home Inspection Profession, reports must be written to convey the situations within a residence in a professional manner so that the professional tradesman can understand the situation that is present with a clear and concise meaning. Items mentioned must be refereed to as their “professional name” such as sash, temperature pressure relief valve and double tapping. Although this terms may not be easy to understand by the the typical laymen they are imperative for the professional tradesman to understand the exact situation that is present.

As with all professions the terms can get confusing and situations present may not be clear, but to understand this report better use…

Something like that. I want a person to think THEY are the ones needing help understand something that is ABOVE them and PROFESSIONAL…Not we have to dumb you down to understand their crayon written report.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE…if you over estimate something make it be our professionalism and not our incompetent reports…thanks

I do have to admit it was GREAT that you ran that by us before putting it out. I think it portrays poorly on the inspector and INACHI…

I don’t think agents feel that our inspection reports overstate anything. For the most part, agents are professionals and understand inspection reports. Agents do believe that some of their clients incorrectly expect every home to be perfect. The book helps agents correct this false belief while promoting InterNACHI members and while reducing member liability.

Perhaps we shoot it without showing the inspector at all, just show the inspection report being read by a wide-eyed buyer?

Nick you have the stats…I think its a horrible idea…but when in NICKS world…what can ya do? Soon the game Simon says will be turned into NICK say…

SELL the damn book! Rather than showing a wide eyed buyer reading an inspection report, ***show them reading your book. ***

The other way it still makes the inspectors’ report the focus of the ad with your book being an “anecdote” for a poorly written or constructed report with at least a subliminal message to the Realtors and the homebuyers they can’t read a report without your book. I have given out several cases of this book and never once portrayed it as a tool to be used so they could read the report.