Domain Hijacking

:frowning: Has anyone had any experience with having their web domain name hijacked. It has happened to me. Apparently if your domain name is not locked and some one wants your name bad enough, They can somehow change the settings to have their website pointed to your domain name and when you try to pull up your website, theirs comes up. Also from what I have been reading, the only recourse you have is to fight them in court. That gets expensive. My website was www.houseprobe.com and it has been stolen by a company that sells ads to real estate companies and real estate resource companies. If anyone has any information on this, please respond.

David DiRienzo
HouseProbe Inspections LLC

Easy fix if you have the right to it, used and icann certied registrar, and can write an email.

tom

That is impossible IMHO.

How he said it, but the result, Ive seen before. Hosting company is unpaid, nonICANN registrar used, of fudged dns settings. An email will help clear this up.

tom

David,

Domain name hijacking can happen in a few different cases. Usually it happens because the person who has it forgets to pay their renewal bill and it’s sniped by someone else.

It is possible for a domain name transfer to take place if it’s not locked but they have to get permission from your previous registrar who is in turn supposed to get permission from you. Who did you purchase the domain name from originally?

Visit AboutUs.org for more information about houseprobe.com
AboutUs: houseprobe.com

Registration Service Provided By: Globat.com - Always Up, Fast and Easy!
Visit: www.globat.com

Domain name: houseprobe.com

Registrant Contact:
Houseprobe
David DiRienzo (adddkd89@netzero.net)
+1.8047963119
Fax: +1.8042652772
19509 Oxford Lane
Sutherland, VA 23885
US

Administrative Contact:
Houseprobe
+1.8047963119
19509 Oxford Lane
Sutherland, VA 23885
US

Technical Contact:
Globat, LLC.
Hostmaster Role Account (hostmaster@globat.com)
+1.3234175167
Fax: none
11288 Ventura Blvd. #443b
Studio City, CA 91604
US

Name Servers:
dns1.name-services.com
dns2.name-services.com
dns3.name-services.com
dns4.name-services.com
dns5.name-services.com

Creation date: 29 Jan 2006 19:07:57
Expiration date: 29 Jan 2008 19:07:57
=-=-=-=
The data in this whois database is provided to you for information
purposes only, that is, to assist you in obtaining information about or
related to a domain name registration record. We make this information
available “as is,” and do not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a
whois query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful
purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to: (1)
enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that stress or load
this whois database system providing you this information; or (2) allow,
enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited,
commercial advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic
mail, or by telephone. The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or
other use of this data is expressly prohibited without prior written
consent from us.

We reserve the right to modify these terms at any time. By submitting
this query, you agree to abide by these terms.
Version 6.3 4/3/2002

Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
See Underlying Registry Data
Report Invalid Whois

I smell a newbie that purchased his domain with the hosting package.

tom

That isn’t really “hijacking” or “stealing” then. If you pay your domain registration bill, even a little late after it expired, I’m pretty sure you get it back. Try to pay it now, if they let you renew, it means you get the domain back.

I originally purchased the domain name from globat.com and had my website transferred to homeinspectorwbesite.com 2 years ago. My hosting service was renewed July 7, 2007, however I cannot find where the domain name was renewed, it is possible that is expired. Is there anything I can do.

David DiRienzo
HouseProbe Inspections LLC

Here’s the domain info right now. It’s showing me that you are still the registrant, so I would contact globat IMMEDIATELY and let them know what’s going on.

=-=-=-=
Visit AboutUs.org for more information about houseprobe.com
<a href=“http://www.aboutus.org/houseprobe.com”>AboutUs: houseprobe.com</a>

Registration Service Provided By: Globat.com - Always Up, Fast and Easy!
Visit: www.globat.com

Domain name: houseprobe.com

Registrant Contact:
Houseprobe
+1.8047963119
19509 Oxford Lane
Sutherland, VA 23885
US

Administrative Contact:
Houseprobe
+1.8047963119
19509 Oxford Lane
Sutherland, VA 23885
US

Technical Contact:
Globat, LLC.
Hostmaster Role Account (hostmaster@globat.com)
+1.3234175167
Fax: none
11288 Ventura Blvd. #443b
Studio City, CA 91604
US

Name Servers:
dns1.name-services.com
dns2.name-services.com
dns3.name-services.com
dns4.name-services.com
dns5.name-services.com

Creation date: 29 Jan 2006 19:07:57
=-=-=-=
The data in this whois database is provided to you for information
purposes only, that is, to assist you in obtaining information about or
related to a domain name registration record. We make this information
available “as is,” and do not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a
whois query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful
purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to: (1)
enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that stress or load
this whois database system providing you this information; or (2) allow,
enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited,
commercial advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic
mail, or by telephone. The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or
other use of this data is expressly prohibited without prior written
consent from us.

We reserve the right to modify these terms at any time. By submitting
this query, you agree to abide by these terms.
Version 6.3 4/3/2002

Hey,

This piqued my curiosity, so I was being nosy & look at this.

When you search your domain name on Globat - it DOES say it’s taken…But, when I clicked the “click here if you are the owner of houseprobe.com to continue your Web hosting order for this domain.” (highlighted in green box)

the next page I gets says:

Step 2 of 2: Enter Billing Information

The                     domain you have requested: houseprobe.com is available.

Now that you've selected your domain, continue the sign up process by filling           in your billing    information below:

then it wants my payment info…:(…This MIGHT be what happened to you.

Here is the link to this page: https://order.globat.com/order2.0.4/index.php?template=landing3

Hope this somehow helps…GOOD LUCK getting it straight!

By the information posted, your domain registration has expired.

Many services are available that wait for a domain to expire.
For example godaddy allows you to backorder a web site, and if you do not renew, they immediately buy it for you.

Doesn’t seem fair, but the way the regs work, it is wise to buy a web site and pre-pay up to 10 years to warranty that you will remain he owner.

Try to buy or reclaim it, either with your current company or another web system. If it isn’t already bought, you can get it back immediately.

Also, if you have a great name, Trademark it. ICANN gives registered Trademark holders preference. It’s how I was able to take HIexperience.com this year. I didn’t own the domain but got the Trademark “HI EXPERIENCE” registered years ago. It’s how many big companies like Pepsi got their domains back from squatters. HIexperience.com is going to be our next generation NACHI.TV show once we go to hi-def production in 2009.

On a similar note, another association tried to come in behind us at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and register a deceptively similar mark “As Hi Experience” but was denied, it is now in appeal at USPTO.gov. You can probably figure out what association did that. No joke here. Anyway, regardless of whether they succeed or fail, HI Experience has already been approved and registered and HIexperience.com is being built offline in preparation for our new hi-def show. The wider screen will be particularly useful for educating inspectors.

Thanks a lot for all the great information. I believe I have it straightened out now. The domain name did expire. The website should be back up soon.

Awesome, good news! Glad you didn’t lose your name.

I’m going to go on record, in my over a decade making websites(code wise, others do the pretty stuff), hosting companies offer ‘free/discounted’ domain services to limit your ability move sites. I’ve talked with one buddy where he had to start consulting a lawyer, since his fine print said the ‘free’ name was owned by the hosting company (heck the paid for it). He only had free use as a current customer.

Now is the ‘free’ domain, or the $1.99 offers worth this BS? I use 1and1.com, they want faxed letter’s with sigs and company seals before they transfer a domain, if you declare it as company property. Great service for about 6 bucks a year. As for hosting 99% is from a resellers account one of my companies has, but when I was looking for small separate account for www.VoteForTom.Info I went with digitalcityhosting.com. So for about $20.00/year I have ‘no’ problems. I like 1and1.com, but never used their hosting. As you see I keep my eggs in separate baskets.

tom