Don't be Fooled

5 Likes

The only fool is the one that believes in the gross misinterpretation of the facts in that article. Classic Fox News style.

It is an opinion piece. And if you think FOX is the only one guilty of gross misinterpretation then you can join the fools in the room. We can safely add all of the alphabet news outlets.

3 Likes

Yup… Ya don’t get fooled again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Finland’s renewable power strategy is paying off as its energy has fallen into negative prices.
  • A new nuclear reactor, as well as unexpected floods, are leading to a glut of clean energy.
  • It is a striking reversal from last year, when Finns slashed their usage after cutting ties with Russia.
1 Like

I agree. They all distort the facts to support their opinions.

Nice article which highlights Bob’s post and the author’s opinion.

a huge oversupply of clean, hydroelectric power meant suppliers were almost giving it away

“But a new nuclear reactor was brought online in April this year and provided a significant new stream of power for Finland’s population, around 5.5 million people.”

From Bob’s posted article:

You might expect the “green energy” movement to be the Number 1 supporter of clean, non-carbon nuclear and hydroelectric energy, but instead, it is the Number 1 opponent. “Green” groups have opposed nuclear for decades (leading to crippling costs) and worked to shut down hydroelectric dams.

Back in April we were up in North Maryland and Pennsylvania attending a wedding. I could not help but notice all of the windmills on the various ridges up in the mountains, but I also noticed that about two thirds of them were not working! We had a Cumberland County, Maryland commissioner with us so I asked the Commish why they did not have them all running. He said that they were damaged or broken and the cost to repair was too much so they were told by the company that owns them that they would be removed and new ones installed. He also added that they have been like that for a couple of years! Two weeks ago I was out in South Dakota, and I came across the exact same thing! Windmills and many were not working! Great idea but they are not cost effective as is most of the current “Green” energy. FYI, we also have an EV(Nissan Leaf) for my wife to drive to work. It gets around 300 miles per charge in the summer and about 150 in the winter!

1 Like

There is a bigger picture here… Most of the real changes in renewable energy is being utilized outside the USA as America must continue to support oil to preserve the civilized world economy.

There are really no failures in technology, scientists can’t be shamed by experiments that didn’t produce or have failed to evolve into verifiable sources of revenue for shareholders. Scientific progress demands big failures or else the science-of-the-day is not being too scientific, most of these scientific failures take place behind closed doors we are not privy to as opposed to being posted along the interstate for all to see.

But if there’s no electricity to charge it with, or electric costs are through the roof, what good is it? Just a large paperweight!

Living in the mountains in NE GA, NC and TN, a lot of folks made a living making bootleg moonshine. Since it’s pretty much legal now, the good ones have opened their own distilleries and sell to distributors. However, some of the true old timers found a way to convert their vehicles into corn ethanol fueled and really don’t care about EV’s, gas prices or shortages. Now of course, like when they were selling moonshine bootleg, they don’t talk about it much or want to share it with “outsiders.”

That is very true! We just go it to see what it is like and we have some of the lowest cost electricity in the USA at around $0.08 a KW hour. From what we can tell it makes about a $30 difference in our utility bill every month. We also pay a road tax of I think around $125 a year when we get a new tag sticker for it every year. For her it works well. Honestly we did not do it to save money or the world!

2 Likes

Curious Scott, what is a road tax and in what state? Is that just for the EV? :thinking:

I had a Leaf years ago and loved it. It was fun to drive and I didn’t have to change the oil. My purpose was small errands around town vs my truck. My wife said it was a goober car. I told her “you best be nice or I will put eyelashes on the head lights and make you drive it”. She bought this sticker just in case.

1 Like

We are in TN. I think we paid $125 this year and it will be $200 in 2024 and in 2026 it goes to $274. This takes the place of the road tax on every gallon of gas you buy for a traditional car or truck. This tax pays for the roads and highway maintenance in your state. Every gallon of gas has this tax, right now in TN it is $0.26 per gallon. I think TX is $0.20 per gal.

1 Like

So to help me clarify, this is an additional tax that you pay when you renew your tag every year?

Yes. It replaces the road tax you pay when you buy gas.

Starting to make more since in a way. TN doesn’t have individual income taxes per se, but apples it to a sales tax to make up for the difference. It appears that they also apply a “gas tax” along with a extra “Road Tax” when your yearly tag fee is due.

GA has individual state income taxes, plus a 30% gas tax, but tag renewal is $20 on regular tags and $45 on specialty plates. I sort of see how this is playing out.

And I’m not sure if this matters, but my state tax bill this year was $20. Not sure where that would calculate in the TN sales tax offset…

Everyone complains about taxes. I truly don’t mind paying them because it is necessary. What I do mind, however, is how Government (state, feds, local) in their infinite stupidity, spend it. I also mind when I am lied to about the need, or where the money will be spent (we’ll spend it on the kiddies or education or the sky is falling so we need more taxes). I have a well refined BS sniffer and it goes off a lot these days.

Correct, TN does not have a personal income tax! A few states are like that. My car tag renewal for my other cars is around $50 a year.

So the state sales tax is 7% then the individual towns, cities, etc., add on their tax which is around 3% on the average. My city of Spring Hill adds on a 2.5% sales tax. It’s a fair tax that everyone pays! Nashville has a 18% hotel tax that the city makes money off the tourist! All states have a gasoline road tax built into the price of the fuel.