Don't Buy A Dell !!!

Originally Posted By: rclayton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m sure many of you who read this post have purchased a Dell computer and are extremely happy with it. Unfortunately for me, that has not been my experience. For a company that prides itself on customer service they have fallen short of my expectations on 2 different occasions. Allow me to give some background information. I purchased my Dell Inspiron 600m on March 15th 2005 and received my NACHI discount. That part I had not problems with. On June 25th I contacted customer service to report that my battery was not holding a charge. We thought the adapter was the problem. Instead of sending a new adapter, I only received the cord that goes from the outlet to the adapter. I called customer service to inform them, and the rep could not believe “they” did not send the entire adapter. After looking closer at the problem, I noticed the piece the adapter is connected to on the computer was loose. The rep informed me that I would need to send my computer back to the company and have the motherboard replaced. On July 5th DHL picked up the computer courtesy of Dell. This was only suppose to take 5-10 days. I called today to follow-up on the status only to learn that the computer has been lost. Per the customer service rep, the computer never reached the port to be shipped to Dell. Again, the rep could not believe this happened. In other words DHL picked it up and it was never received by Dell. Fortunately, I kept the hard drive. The problem I have with Dell is that after 2 weeks no one contacted me. They set up the DHL pick up, so they were fully aware that my computer was on its way. Why no phone call? Now I have to wait another 10-15 days to receive another computer. Does anyone know Michael Dell’s direct number? I will never purchase anymore of their products.

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Don’t have Michael’s number but I understand he lives atop one of the hills overlooking Austin. Maybe one of our Texas Hill Country guys can help you out.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

I have a Dell.

I lost power about 3 months ago and Dell had a fix-it guy here the next day.

They replaced my power supply , my mother board and something else that I do not remember.

Dell rocks ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Rennard:

I also purchased a Dell thru this NACHI/Dell program. I have not experienced or encountered problems as of yet with the Dell.

As with any Computer, you need a Backup. You can not rely solely on 1 machine. I am in the Office right now with a Desktop and 3 Laptops running performing software updates.

The last computer I had significant problems with was a HP Pavilion purchased thru Tiger Direct. After 3 Months of back and forth repairs to the service center (I had not used it once in the field in those 3 months), Tiger refunded my money in full.

My Most reliable machine now is a HP pavilion ze4600 that I purchased at Best Buy between Inspections over a year ago. My Compaq Presario 1700 Died in the middle of my Morning Inspection. I purchased the HP on the way to my Afternoon Inspection and loaded the report software On-Site.

Even after the problems encountered with a previous HP Series computer, I purchased the HP and this one exemplifies durability in the field.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

rwashington wrote:
Don't have Michael's number but I understand he lives atop one of the hills overlooking Austin. Maybe one of our Texas Hill Country guys can help you out.
I don't have his number but I live about 3-4 miles away from his home. Want me to drop by and give him a message?

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jmurray

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 (2.5 years old) and a Dell laptop (1 year old) and have never needed customer service on neither of them!

Dell simply makes the best mass production computers around!

I think this is the first time(s) that I owned a computer(s) that didn’t have some type of problem within the first year! I’ve owned many computers including ones that I built myself from ground-up. Unfortunately, some of the components that I used in my builds broke down and needed to be replaced in the first year!

“A little less conversation and a little more action”!

I am not surprised to hear that most of you have had good experiences with Dell. Reading all of the positive posts about Dell is what lead me to purchase one. I do have another laptop and desktop, so I am still in business. Stay tuned to see how it ends.

Michael,

I will let you know in 10-15 days if I need you to deliver a message.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Michael Dells Home ]

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I have only every owned Dell Laptops. My experience has been very good. Although one lessoned I learned it to alway pay the extra for the next day onsite service.

I always have a Dell Tech in my office the next day.

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

This is my third year owning a dell…I’ve only had a couple of minor hiccups, but were corrected by calling customer service and the tech walked me thru it, and once my internet provider walked me thru it. My first computer was a gateway and I am glad to get rid of that headache.

I am now looking at getting a laptop as a backup/takealong. Hopefully Thursday I can get in on the Dell deal for the laptops.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: ssopha

I never had problems with Dell. The last one I bought had a problem with woofer and speaker systems which Dell replaced the wole thing within a week.

Originally Posted By: kfulton

Repeat after me… Compaq, Compaq, Compaq icon_wink.gif

Kelley Fulton

True North Home Inspections

...things you think about in dark spaces...

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Then they tried having an attorney contact me about us TAKING "THEIR MONEY". Remember I supposedly didn't exist in their system. I wrote several people (including Michael Dell) very long and POINTED LETTERS - I never heard even an I'm sorry from those Assholes.

I've made it a personal point to tell everyone I know thats thinking about buying Dell this story. Hopefully I've convinced many of them to not buy Dell - Dell sucks big-time.