Don't Miss this Defect

Well as a Licensed gas fitter in Canada for 15 years i use to right them up down here. Time after time was told it was not required . by People qualified down here so i quess it is a regional thing . I stopped worrying about it. So how many write a flex line going threw the furnace cabinet without protection ?

I always write up the trap missing, but not as an explosion hazard, I don’t get the point of that guy’s title.

He just wanted you to read his whole article looking for the explosion. :slight_smile:

Just an FYI, only a few local counties inparticular does not enforce or generally install drip legs.
Some more rural areas with a different gas carrier have drip legs installed. Any propane appliances also hae them. I do write up propane appliances with drip legs missing.

This is actually not true.

Check the manufacturers installation instructions. There are different requirements for different manufacturers. Some will say the drip leg “must” be installed, others will say it “should” be installed and others make no mention at all.

The manufacturers that state the drip-leg “must” be installed are the only ones I call out in CA, because our state code does not require them.

As for the warranty, although I’ve never actually experienced it myself, most manufacturers clearly indicate that warranties are voided for installations that do not comply with their specific instructions. This goes for all aspects of the installation, not just in regards to the drip-leg.

Long and short all that would happen is a orifice plug . Nothing more . ever take one apart to see what is in it ?

An “orifice plug” …LOL !!!
Isn’t that a sex toy !

LOL only in FL Tell us Roy

I’ve plugged a few…LOL…

I agree. I didn’t make quite the claim as Leavitt did. I generally use terms like most when referring to requirements by manufacturers. I still mostly agree with his post, but it’s too long and boring for me.

You keep track of which ones do and don’t? That’s a lot of manufacturers, no?

I’ve got several memorized, but most appliances have the installation instructions attached to them or nailed to a framing member in close proximity.

When the appliance is beyond its warranty period, there’s not much reason to call it out in CA.

So all this chatter about a little drip leg have any of you ever called for one to be removed and why would you want to:p;-)

While in most instances the manufacturer’s specs trump all other considerations, I personally do not see this as one of them. A clogged gas valve is a clogged gas valve is a clogged gas valve. The best practice is to have a trap so I recommend it if it isn’t there.

That’s a good question Charlie, in what scenario would you recommend removal? If it’s chock-full of water, rust and debris? :slight_smile:

Think about it especially where you live ??? if its full of water, rust and debris it is doing what its suppose to do and perhaps a little more;-)

LOl I have taken these apart to inspect many times , I worked for a anal company which made this a routine every 2 years . did i ever find anything nope.

You just did not stay in the business long enough, I’ve made a ton of money replacing stopped up gas valve over the years especially on old floor furnaces

20 years Charley lol you just had dirty old gas . probably the unwanted stuff from Canada lol;-)

Do you know what drip gas is;-)

Another name for Natural Gas condensate. Right Wayne? :wink: