Door Question.

Originally Posted By: ekartal
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone write up doors that are not painted on the top and bottom? It’s considered a defect if they’re not. eusa_doh.gif

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Nope. Nobody does. icon_biggrin.gif

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Thanks John. I didn’ think many people checked, but I believe it may be a potential defect icon_question.gif Especially bathroom door.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Exterior doors, yes, it’s crucial to the door to be sealed top and bottom.

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Erol,

Sorry, I was being sarcastic as usual. The sarcasim being, how could I possibly answer for everyone.

I know, sometimes I can be an @ss. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Hey John, I thought the response was funny! I was relieved to hear that no one checks because I sure as hel* haven’t. icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Jerry,

What type of door?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: jpeck

John,

Any exterior door (except maybe the steel doors used on non-residential buildings) wood or steel skinned.

Treat the tops and bottom rails just like you do the side stiles of the doors. They are wood and wood swells when it gets wet. Wood also rots out when allowed to stay wet for long periods of time.

Interior doors are not as critical, but the tops and bottoms should also be painted. Would you NOT paint the sides of the door? Why NOT paint the tops and bottoms?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Erol,

If there appears to be warpage problems with the doors, common with pocket doors, that is the first thing to confirm. Most wood door manufacturers void their warranty if the door has not been properly sealed on all six sides, including top and bottom.

This is probably a more relevant issue with new construction inspections since it will help the client to determine whether his recourse is with the manufacturer or the builder / painter.

Just a couple more thoughts! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Have a GREAT Day!!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Russ Meyers