Doorbell transformer double tapped

Originally Posted By: mpettitt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve seen several panels where the only defect was an improperly double tapped 15 or 20 amp breaker rated for only one wire. The second wire was from a doorbell transformer mounted correctly outside the box. Should I write it up or just ignore it. thanks

Originally Posted By: apolillo

I write it up every time… My guess, it never gets repaired

Anatol

Originally Posted By: rmoore

One of the main reasons we write up double-taps is because of the possibility of a poor connection of one or both of the conductors at a lug that is only designed for one, and the subsequent arcing. Perhaps a doorbell transformer only draws power intermittently and isn’t likely to cause a fire hazard but what if the poor connection created is at the original conductor and circuit?

Write it up...unless of course it's a Square-D or Cutler-Hammer (CH or CHP) breaker identified for two conductors. Code if you need it is NEC 110.14(A)..."Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified."

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jmurphy1

Some of the double taps involve two wires that have been tightly twisted together with pliers.

My thoughts exactly, thanks for the echo. Seems like everyone from realtors, owners, and some sparkies think I’m being picky.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

For the 15 cents worth of wire it would take to pigtail that connection and the other 5 cents for a wire nut, I would be kinda silly not to call out a breaker which is not rated for a double tap, don’t ya think?

Joe Myers

A & N Inspections, Inc.

http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: lkage

jmyers wrote:
For the 15 cents worth of wire it would take to pigtail that connection and the other 5 cents for a wire nut, I would be kinda silly not to call out a breaker which is not rated for a double tap, don't ya think?

I agree...and as far as being too picky, just write it up "for enhanced safety". Most people don't argue with safety issues.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I see 80% of doorbell transformers double tapped.

If it's the only defect in the panel, it's not a big deal. It's a lousy low voltage wire.

I simply explain to my client that it shouldn't be tapped, but it's not a defect to worry about. It will be noted, but not a biggie.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Thanks everyone, thats usually what I say, not the biggest safety issue but incorrect, My thoughts are (and I tell them) any elect. safet isssue is just that a safety issue and Murphy’s law always applies.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

dvalley wrote:
I see 80% of doorbell transformers double tapped.

If it's the only defect in the panel, it's not a big deal. It's a lousy low voltage wire.

I simply explain to my client that it shouldn't be tapped, but it's not a defect to worry about. It will be noted, but not a biggie.

David...It is line voltage. It only becomes low voltage after the tranformer. I agree it's not a "biggie" to fix, but if you tell your client "it's not a defect to worry about." you might as well not report it at all. I'm sorry, but I think that is bad advise.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Agreed…a double tap is a double tap, is a double tap, is a double tap…

Where does it say it is ok to do it with some circuits and not others....

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: dvalley

PLEASE…

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."