Double keyed dead bolt

By attempting to turn the key to fast friction can produce heat at the brass inner workings of the pin setup and in turn heat surrounding air which is full of dust particles which have been stirred up from running to the door in a hurry.
Most likely since there is a fire already it was started by flammable chemicals which may not have 100% ignited yet till the friction heat does so and causes an explosion as the pressure has built up from lack of ventilation which we know occurs in any sealed vessel.

Damn I thought you were smart Jeff.
Everyone knows the above.

Type both real fast.
I can produce twice as many reports by the time you finish the former comment.
Read and learn son.

Hmmm completely accurate is a false statement.
We have the word “Fire” and the word “Hazard”

So half …

Okay, half - I’ll give you that… son… or pop’s…

Kidding aside, house fires are pretty uncommon by comparison in my area. Californian’s are more likely to be caught in an earthquake where these could seriously impede a quick exit.

In Illinois (I would imagine), most burglars will enter through a window (knowing the doors are likely locked), and since law-abiding Chi-town residence aren’t allowed to arm themselves, they’ll need to get out in a hurry while their place is being ransacked. :mrgreen:

Thanks Dan, like your approach

I leave my doors open intentionally to encourage entry by strangers who wish to do me harm.

Well here in SW Florida, the retirement capitol of the world, our population is older to say the least. And yes, home fires from inattention are common. So is the death that follows. I did misspeak earlier. Of course its an entrapment issue and my report reflected that. I spoke about code just to help nudge the client. If they choose to ignore my advice, well they are free to do so. But cant say they werent informed.

Good call Todd.
Sorry and would have replied sooner if the key to my study had not broken off in the lock keeping me from my computer.

George …

As a code inspector your posts confuse me.

To start with in your 1st post you say … **Not code violation in ky as key can remain in the lock at all times . I will mention this as a good practice, to leave key in lock but do not call it a deficiency. Some codes have changed this in many states. **

Then in your 2nd post you go on to show the very section of code that states egress doors are NOT to be key operated on the inside.

Then go on to say if 1 door is an egress door, then other doors are NOT. That is not exactly correct. Code says at LEAST 1 door

Try rethinking your statements AND when doing so think about an in ground basement … Fire upstairs between you and EGRESS door, so its OK if basement door to outside is KEYED on inside and key is missiong out of door / Oh crap, where did I leave that darn key?

Call it WHATEVER the heck you wanta call it BUT call it.

On the egress window sill? :wink:

In ground basement with no sleeping rooms (so just little basement metal windows 5’ up in walls) … Just service door to walk-up outside stairs to ground.