Double Panel Wadsworth

Originally Posted By: mpatton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Looking for some general information form others.

I inspected a house recently that had the appearance from the street that it had once been a two family the home is approximately 80 years old. The issue at hand that I had not seen before is a single service drop with two meter heads feeding two panels providing service to the residence. Inside it had 2 (OLD) Wadswoth 100 amp panels on top of this their existed a couple of local boxes as well such as in the family room these all were fed from the 100 amp panels.

Any input?

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

DELETED

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Michael,

As a general rule you should be checking for the weakest link in the service. The three choices are, service cable, meter panel, electric panel.

Like Joe H pointed out you can have a 200 amp service that provides power to two different panels but you should also be making sure the service cable leading to the meter panel is sized correctly. The wire from the meter to the electric panels is sized correctly. The panels themselves are not exceeding the rating of the entrance cable from the service drop to the meter when you add the two panels together. Each should have a separate ground wire and rod.

If you smell something wrong recommend having an electrician preform further evaluation and corrections based on their findings. Play it safe.

Good advice Joe H.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: mpatton

Thanks for the responses.

1) YES the service cable was OK for 200 amp.

2) The panels are found local to this area and are known to have been poor quality to begin with alias ?Wadsworthless? by electricians, comparable to Federal Pacific. (I Have no documentation just word of mouth)

3) The questionable issue with what I saw was the service split feeding 2 separate meters actively working and each feeding respectively to a 100 amp panel. I am accustom to a 200 amp service splitting to separate panels but not 2 meters from a single service. ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

4) YES, I did refer the system to be inspected by an electrician.

Thanks again and as always it is good to have a good source (NACHI) for a sounding board!

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Michael,

It is common in our area for the service to run off of two meters. The power company here turns off the power to the second panel at certain times and rewards the customer with a reduced energy rate. This panel usually covers the high energy usage appliances such as a water heater, dryer,....etc

Perfectly ok, you just want to make sure they are using the correct size wires especially running into the panels.

Joe Myers