Double sided dead bolt

And if they’re there already breaking the window to access the DB, why not just break out the rest of the window and crawl through it or just give the door/lock a swift ninja-like/*Cops *kick?

I agree, fire safety issue only.

Less than 5 minutes with a cordless sawzall and the whole door is out of the opening, jamb and all.

Why so much effort ?
I used to get tenants into lockouts in 30 seconds with no damage other than cylinder.

Oh yeah! I saw No Country for Old Men!

There are a lot of things to consider. It being a fire hazard is definitely the biggest thing to concern yourself with. Deadbolts you can read about: http://united-locksmith.net/blog/how-deadbolts-play-a-role-in-keeping-your-home-safe-and-secure

But what reality is. Is that this can cost lives. A childhood friend and neighbor of mine died because of this exact thing. The house caught fire. The alarms were not working and everyone in the house woke up too late. The fire was to severely burning. In the confusion my friend went to the back door to escape. They would keep a key in the lock, but it was not there. I was very young so I do not know too many of the details. What I do remember was he was 7 years old. And a double sided deadbolt cost him the rest of his life.

Do whatever you think you should. But yes it is dangerous. There are ways that this could be avoided. My family, as well as my neighbors, all talked a lot about how to talk to kids about home fires after this. In my own house I could see installing double sided deadbolts, but the fire exit plan would need to accommodate for the obstructed exit. It is the same as knowing that you have a wall. It is not safe and it is not unsafe, it is just something you need to think about.

I am sorry if this is depressing, but it is what I think about every time I hear this question.

Hope that it helps you think through your issue.

Here is my take on this…

"One or more exterior egress doors use "keyed deadbolt locks " on the inside. Although commonly used for security against intruders, this is not a good practice, and can obstruct or impede egress out of the home in case of an emergency. Some building standards require egress doors to have keyless operation from the inside. For safety purposes, all exterior locks on egress doors should be thumb-latched on the inside.

R311.1 Means of egress. All dwellings shall be provided with
a means of egress as provided in this section. The means of
egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical
and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling
to the exterior of the dwelling at the required egress door
without requiring travel through a garage.
R311.2 Egress door. At least one egress door shall be provided
for each dwelling unit. The egress door shall be side-hinged,
and shall provide a minimum clear width of 32 inches (813
mm) when measured between the face of the door and the stop,
with the door open 90 degrees (1.57 rad). The minimum clear
height of the door opening shall not be less than 78 inches
(1981 mm) in height measured from the top of the threshold to
the bottom of the stop. Other doors shall not be required to
comply with these minimum dimensions. Egress doors shall be
readily openable from inside the dwelling without the use of a
key or special knowledge or effort.
"

SPAM!!

We’re dragging up 2 1-2 year old threads today.

Pay attention.

I wasn’t! Thanks you .

The SPAM post was from today. PAY ATTENTION :smiley:

I did.

Go back to your nap.:shock:

But creative spam.

http://www.woolfmedia.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/spam-big1.jpg

I happen to like SPAM w/mustard.

My Mom would fry it. Not bad. I need to buy some.

Let’s be realistic. How many people have died in a fire or any other type of in house hazard due to a double sided deadbolt? The answer to this will determine how important it really is to report double sided deadbolts as a deficiency.

I write it up if there is no other means of egress.

Our job is to inform our clients not decide for them.

My doors have deadbolts, but none are keyed from interior. I think that’s just asking for trouble.

I never lock either one, unless I leave the house.

If an intruder can get past Champ, my 95 pound Shepherd-Rotweiller mix, then get past my 12 gauge or 9mm, then they are more than welcome to anything I have.

My door sign reads “Vicious dog and armed homeowner inside. Trust me-there’s nothing in this house worth losing your life over”.

Just saying.

Not very many recently, because leverlocks have been required on new construction in most places for a long time.

The NFPA probably has that exact data.

So, this is me. A person. Sorry if it seemed spammy I got a little self righteous and a little…I don’t know. I didn’t realize this was such an old post. I was doing some home repair research and I saw this question in the forum. I have a personal history with this question so I thought I would respond. My friend died when I was very young and I guess it still bothers me. But yah I look at everything…I even put in a link, but I did that to seem less self righteous (don’t think it helped…like at all).

Sorry, but the responses were very fun! Hard to get me to laugh after rereading about the death of my childhood friend. What is in the past is the past though. I feel bad, sorry again.

It is good to have plan B building the interior. Or decide carefully how you gonna build it.