Double Taps in Cutler Hammer Panel

A piece of wire and one of these. :smiley:

http://promisesoflife.com/bec_interactive/images/wirenut.jpg

What size? Solid? Stranded? SERIOUSLY? My comment was directed at the poster that stated CH breakers were rated for double taps. These are CH breakers…:wink:

It would be helpful if the picture was resized. I can’t see what you’Re saying:roll:

Gregory, I was referring to the photo below. If the CB isn’t listed for two conductors then a simple splice to have only one conductor on the CB will satisfy the NEC.

I totally agree with the remedy. Not my point on the blanket statement that Brian Winkle made regarding CR breakers. Trying to correct the record regarding the color of the handles and CH breakers in a round about way. This should be the place where people come for correct answers.

How many documented fires does there need to be in order to make it a reportable defect?

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk142/HomeCert/Hot_Neutrals_Merged1_zpsc47cbaa7.jpg

If a terminal is designed for only one conductor, it’s improper if it has two or more. It doesn’t matter whether one of them is powering a doorbell (the other conductor is not a doorbell). The presence of two or more conductors under a terminal designed for only one can lead to high temps due to loose or high resistance connections.

I simply report improper double tapped breakers as “improper”. If I see elevated temperatures as a result, I will assign the appropriate NETA maintenance criteria priority classification and description.

In the above example which occurred in a vacant higher end house, I shut down the main breaker and called the listing agent. The electrician was onsite and completely corrected the issue and removed all damaged wire and components in less than an hour. It was corrected and verified before I left the inspection.

BTW: If you don’t report double lugged grounded conductors, consider this your heads-up!

Also, everything inside of a 120/240 panel is considered “low voltage” and the primary side of a transformer is the same voltage as everything else.