Double Windows, Not Double pane but Double windows

Originally Posted By: lkemble
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The home was built last year and the builder installed double windows to reduce noise in the home. The problem with the windows is that a person must slide open the first set of windows (No latch installed), unlatch the second set and then slide it open to get air into the room or possibly escape a bedroom. The windows were manufactured by ABC windows. The latch is difficult to access and the windows in the bathrooms do not have a handle to grasp to open them. The handle would interfer with the first set of windows. You have to place your hand on the glass to open the bathroom window.

Have you come across this configuration? Do you know of a possible code violation?

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Do you have a picture. It sounds like an aluminum single hung window with an inside storm window. Those, at least, are common in some areas.

Originally Posted By: Gino Conner

Please submit a picture if you can.

I would love to see that arangement!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I did a home a couple of weeks ago that had a sliding patio door that was the exactly the same way. It was a nice setup. Especially for colder climates there is some real thermal value. These doors were manufactured in Canada. Wish I would have taken a picture icon_cry.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Gino Conner wrote:
Please submit a picture if you can.
I would love to see that arangement!
The photo did not come out. Due to the sunlight coming into the window it is dark. ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

bwiley wrote:
Do you have a picture. It sounds like an aluminum single hung window with an inside storm window. Those, at least, are common in some areas.

You may be right about the configuration being an inside storm window. What troubles me about the design is the inability to quickly egress from the bedroom window.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Window and storm window?

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Originally Posted By: jbehling

kmcmahon wrote:
I did a home a couple of weeks ago that had a sliding patio door that was the exactly the same way. It was a nice setup. Especially for colder climates there is some real thermal value. These doors were manufactured in Canada. Wish I would have taken a picture ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

See them all the time here (north of the border). Watch for condensation damage to the wood between the two, especially in the bathrooms.

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Lee:

Is the house located near an airport?

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

rcloyd wrote:
Lee:

Is the house located near an airport?

No, it is near a busy street. The busy street is why they installed a double window accoring to the owner.

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Ahh, I see. I have seen the same type of double window installation used when sound proofing a home near an airport.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rmoore

I did one last week with aluminum single pane sliders (1/2 fixed) with similar storm windows. In one bedroom the storm window had been installed in reverse. Didn’t matter what was open, there was always solid glass in the opening. Had one of those “Huh?” moments before I realized I was still sane and the installer was the crazy one.

Richard Moore

Rest Assured Inspection Services

Seattle, WA

www.rainspect.com