Downspouts emptying on lower roof.

And I was thinking this thread is so old Russell and Frank were in it :twisted::mrgreen:

Shingle manufacturers provide compliance. I listed one below.
IRC: Section R801.3. The code reads as follows:
“In areas where expansive or collapsible soils are known to exist, all dwellings shall have a controlled method of water disposal from roofs that will collect and discharge all roof drainage to the ground surface at least 5’ away from foundation walls or to an approved drainage system.”

National Rain Gutter Contractors Association (or NRGCA)

Reach out to the builder. Tell them you are only doing your job.
1: Ask them to send you or your client the gutter industry standard by PDF or fax to keep the warranty held harmless.
2: Ask them to send you the name of the manufacturer produced the shingles and what shingle style they used.

Dormer gutters requires a downspout like any gutter.

Gutters and Downspouts Can Cause Shingle Damage: GAF Report

Robert, this is a 12 year old post and I doubt Will Decker needs any help.
Obviously you don’t know who he is.

Morning Marcel. Hope you and Mrs. Cry are well today.

I understand the post is dated. The post was for other inspectors.

I often use older thread posts to help myself gain insight. I suspect other do as well. I try to bring them back on recent threads. Good questions and information are timeless.

Will had been with InterNACHI 2 years prior my arrival. I remember most members names. Only about 100 or so post on the MB regularly.

Will has turned out to be a recognised home inspector. Will interacts with INACHI members were I pretty much stay to myself. Too much bias. Not for me.

As for; Will Decker, CMI
ILL License # 450.0002240
Board Certified Master Inspector
Decker Home Services, LLC
Chicago and Northern Suburban Home Inspections.
I remember William Decker posts when I joined in INACHI in 2010.
William Decker.JPG
Building Science & Infrared Thermal Imaging for Inspectors Course

Keep well.
Regards.
Robert Young

William Decker.JPG

Will Decker …Who is he ?

Hi, Bob. Your just pullen everyones leg.
I remember members making fun of Will’s orange t shirt frequently.

Anyone know how William is doing?

So, down spouts are ugly but so are areas of granular loss from direct drops onto the roof surface. Here is what GAF has to say about it. So, GAF is saying don’t call us if your shingles erode. So here all stand in a circle 15 years into a 30 year roof pointing fingers

Link to GAF tech page on down spout erosion.

https://www.gaf.com/en-us/document-library/documents/warrantiesamptechnical/steepslopetechnicaladvisorybulletins/englishbulletins/granule_loss_on_new_shingles_steep_slope_technical_point_tab_r_2011_112.pdf

Don Hawley CPI
Hawley Home Inspections LLC

DonHawley575@gmail.com
Licensed Radon Professional
Licensed Home Inspector

Good post. Granular loss affects mat performance. GAF defending/protecting their product.

I’m resurrecting this thread again because this is still an issue with builders and I wanted to share a picture from a house built in 2016 that others may find useful. I inspected this house in Fall 2020 and found staining and moss growth on a roof plane that I suspected received less sunlight than the rest of the home. At only four years old, it was already showing just how much more water flows through this area and how much moisture it retains.

This week, I reinspected a new house for a client and unfortunately was greeted by the construction manager instead of the buyer’s agent that had given me access before. He used it as an opportunity to pester me about my observations nearly the entire time I was there. One of his insightful questions was, “So you’re still going to say something about the gutter downspouts even though no builder in this area does them that way?”

Yes, because it still causes problems.

1 Like