Drain vents

Originally Posted By: mroach
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Why would a vent be placed before a P trap?

http://www.homegauge.com/report/13733/i0000019.jpg

Thanks'
Mark

--
Mark Roach
A Professional Home Inspection
TREC# 6467
http://www.aprofessionalhomeinspection.com
"Your Best Protection is a Professional Home Inspection"
Klien Volunteer Fireman

Originally Posted By: Aaron Rosenbaum

I don’t know if that would be considered a legal vent. Here is the reason I can think of…

Just pretend that the vent is connected to a basket strainer and water can go down it. Even if this "vent" goes through the roof, etc.... it still doesn't act as a vent because of the physics behind it. I'm sure you already did this, but I would make sure no hoses, or anything else is going into that "drain" or vent or whatever you want to call it. In my opinion, if that is the vent and there isn't one in the wall then its nothing more then an "extended" S trap.

If I'm off-base, someone please correct me, but to me, that "vent" is no different than another drain.....

I do know that this is the wrong place for a vent. That’s why I’m asking why someone would put a vent before the trap. I’m not sure if there is another main vent in the wall and this is for something else. If it is for something else then what? 2 upstairs bath sinks where plumed like this.

Aaron thank you for taking your time to reply.

Mark

--
Mark Roach
TREC# 6467
Klien Volunteer Fireman

I know what you mean but the atmospheric pressure effect of having a vent and a P trap set up properly won’t work if the vent is before the P trap. Its just like having a drain (even though its a vent, mechanically it is setup just like a drain)… Its kind of hard to explain, but I hope this helps more. If that is the only vent (the one before the P trap) then when water goes down, it will still siphon the water out of the trap…

Hope this helps more....

And also.... in short.... the vent doesn't work (in my opinion)

Aaron that is my point, the vent can’t work the way it is plumed. I just can’t believe that a plumber would do tis kind of work. I’m trying to see if maybe there is a reason for doing it like this. Maybe the ac drain is connected to it. I just haven’t seen it done this way.

Mark Roach

TREC# 6467

“Your Best Protection is a Professional Home Inspection”

Klien Volunteer Fireman

Originally Posted By: rray

mroach wrote:
I just can't believe that a plumber would do tis kind of work

Mark, you're assuming that a plumber did it. I start with the basic premise that professionals built the house. Then when I find problems, I assume that the problem is a homeowner "fix" for something. I'm guilty of such fixes.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Yeah… it must have been a homeowner and doing home repairs/remodeling to his house. He must have been trying to impress his wife or something or being a regular guy (proving he can do anything)

*sigh* ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Maybe it really was the plumber, doing the guy’s wife and he did not have enough time to install it right after fixing the wife! icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Mr. Roach,

What about the possibility of something draining INTO the tailpiece. Could it be a condensate drain from an A/C unit or an idirect drain from an upstairs laundry room floor/pan drain? It just looks too small to be a vent.

Neal,

You surprise me every time you speak. Well, almost! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) Good thoughts.

Joe Myers

nlewis wrote:
Mr. Roach,

What about the possibility of something draining INTO the tailpiece. Could it be a condensate drain from an A/C unit or an idirect drain from an upstairs laundry room floor/pan drain? It just looks too small to be a vent.

They very well could be the condensate drain lines. I have never seen them pipped in this way before.

--
Mark Roach
TREC# 6467
Klien Volunteer Fireman

Mark,

Has anyone ever told you that you look like Norm Abrams? Maybe its the avatar picture.

Joe Myers

Joe Allot of people have told me that. But as of 2 weeks ago I don’t look like that anymore. I joined the VOL. Fire Dept. and they made me shave icon_eek.gif

Mark Roach

TREC# 6467

“Your Best Protection is a Professional Home Inspection”

Klien Volunteer Fireman

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Was that 1 leg or both ?? icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Only busting on you.

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: csewell

It is not a vent in my opinion. I was just reading yesterday where A/C primary drains (which I know can go to wet vents) are also properly tied into the lavatory drain tailpipe ahead of the trap. Being ahead of the trap ensures no gases back up into the A/C drain, especially if they forgot to trap the drain, preventing sewer gases in the attic. I am no expert on this, but it sounds good to me. Especially the A/C drain has a vent after its trap that vents into the attic like mine.

Charles Sewell

Originally Posted By: rking

Mark, Volunteer firefighter, good show! Me Too.

As for the topic, I think it would most likely be a drain from something somewhere, if it is not then it would surely not work properly!

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large