Draw Inspection

Originally Posted By: wcampbell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/g/goodcrawl.jpg.jpg ]

This is the slab under the house:

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/s/slab.jpg.jpg ]

This is one of the piers on the canal side:

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/c/crookedpier.jpg.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/c/crookedpier2.jpg.jpg ]

--
This Ole House-Home Inspections
William A. Campbell TREC # 6372
Serving the Texas Coastal Bend
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: tallen

I do some draw inspections.

I believe the problems in your pic's are the responsibility of the local building inspector.

If it was me. I think I would talk to GCI or whomever you are working for.

I have a feeling they will tell you that it is not your problem.

JMO

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: tallen

Oh yea, make sure you make note of who the builder and sub’s are incase you run across them again on a warranty inspection.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Thanks Todd. I’ll do that.

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: jstewart1

William,

I have been doing draw inspections for a number of years, and have come across some things that were pretty bizarre.

Early on I wrote up a clear safety issue in the comments section of the draw report. The next day I received a call from the president of the draw co. telling me in no uncertain terms that it was none of my business, and he was right. Unless I thought someone could be harmed I walk away.

Good luck

Jerry

Originally Posted By: pdacey

William,

I do draw inspections as well. I would not mention any defects if I saw them. If I forwarded them to the lender who hired me they would just tell me to ignore it and if I pulled the GC or site super aside to tell them, I probably wouldn't get any more inspections from the lender because I'd be looked at as sticking my nose where it doesn't belong.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: mkober

I understand where you people are coming from, but by not pointing out a potential (serious) defect, isn’t there a liability issue here? ANY report with my name on it describes defects as I observe them–not talking about nit-picky stuff here, just those things having the potential to hurt or kill people. In the last month, I’ve spoken to construction loan managers at four different local banks, and without exception, they all wanted me to report on my (or their) form all defects which could compromise the integrity of the structure they are financing.

Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

mkober wrote:
I understand where you people are coming from, but by not pointing out a potential (serious) defect, isn't there a liability issue here? ANY report with my name on it describes defects as I observe them--not talking about nit-picky stuff here, just those things having the potential to hurt or kill people. In the last month, I've spoken to construction loan managers at four different local banks, and without exception, they all wanted me to report on my (or their) form all defects which could compromise the integrity of the structure they are financing.

Draw inspections bargain for work that desribes the amount of completion of a project. It does not bargain for inspection for quality. If you cross the line and begin to make observations involving quality, that's your bad! Of course banks would love for you to do quality control inspections at a bargained for draw inspection price, they get more than their money's worth and they can then throw additional liability your way because you have defined your scope of work to include quality and safety issues.

You Engineers, sometimes, jeeze! ![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Engineer icon_question.gif icon_question.gif Gee…I don’t even have a train.

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: mkober

Perhaps we’re comparing apples and oranges here. My previous comments dealt with local banks who want to know the progress (status) of their investment. I have not worked for or even talked to “draw companies” as referenced by others. Guess that’s the price I pay for living out in the sticks–but, I never have to lock the doors when we leave the house, either, so maybe there is some justice in the world.

Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

Originally Posted By: jstewart1

Michael,

I dont know what part of the sticks you come from, but in my home town there was only one loan manager, and he was also the head teller and bank president. He was also the mayor. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)
Jerry

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

We’re talking about the same thing Michael. Bank draw inspections.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

This is a difficult ethics issue. If it is a life safety issue, I would talk to the person on the site. If it is just a quality issue, I would base my response on the people I’m working with or for.

Bottom line, you need to do what you feel is correct. If that means you loss some work....

Originally Posted By: jklimack

If the inspection is strictly a draw inspection I would include a disclaimer for the safety and quality of workmanship.

John/All-County NJ

Originally Posted By: dhernandez

They only need % complete. Not quality. And the reports I have seen and completed are only asking for such. The comments you are supposed to make are only related to the stage in question, and they are limited to something being built or added that is not part of the blueprint design. If you get a chance to meet the buyer of the home being built from the ground up, like I did once, it’s not a bad idea to hand out your business card, and let them know that you can come out and perform a home inspection in the future if they are interested. It’s strange at first, to be ignoring the things you’d normally look for, but you have remember what you are being asked and paid to do by the loan management company. It’s about the money they are investing in the completion of the project, you are a set of eyes that don’t cost much to show up to the site when needed, rather than pay for some other executive in the company to fly out, stay in a hotel, wake up check the progress, fly back, and do it again a few weeks later.

-Dan

Best Home Inspection Service, LLC

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I have done “phased construction inspections” for banks as an engineer, and from my experience they are a little different than the “draw inspections” many HI’s conduct.

The ones I did also included a pre-construction plan review, in addition to reporting on the amount complete at various stages and any readily apparent major defects observed (e.g. 8" foundation wall installed, where plans called for a 10" wall). However, they were not as detailed as a full inspection where everything would be looked at closely ... I called it a "brief walk through visual observation ... ".

It all depends on what you are being paid to do. Be careful about taking on responsibility that is beyond your scope, but cover yourself. Talk to the client about the scope, and make sure your agreements and reports are clear on your responsibilities and limitations ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong