Drones

Don’t know if I would trust my thermal imager on a drone.

Search out drone flyaways on Youtube.

Jeff

I havent had the courage to put that kind of $ in the air. I have not had any “flyaways”, but I have crashed - many times.
I suppose if the equipment was insured, and I was getting thousands for the inspection I might consider it.
Ill have to ask my agent about coverage, Im sure he will giggle a bit…

Is anyone doing aerial Thermal scans, out of a helicopter or plane? It cant be cheap…

Has anyone done the math?

Just make sure you have areturn to home system on your drone.:wink:
If it loses contact with your controller and is under 60’ altitude it will climb to 60’ feet and return to the launch point. If it’s over 60’ altitude when a signal is lost it will climb to 200’ and return to it’s launch point.

Near O’hare and the thing would get you arrested around here.

You have to keep them under 400’ altitude.
The Cook County Forest Preserve in Palos Park has an airfield for remote control aircraft.

Here’s one from todays inspection.

Nice. I need to get one of those.

The roof was inaccessible and you had to stand back about a block to see the flat roof area. That’s when I pulled the drone out of my truck. When I looked at the walls below the flat roof with IR, I found them to be pretty wet.

Aerial Roof [640x480].jpg

Aerial Roof [640x480].jpg

SAM_3880 [640x480].JPG

SAM_3876 [640x480].JPG

My pole cam gets right up close to all the roof penetrations while that Drone is all far back shots and looks like a gold Fish bowl lens.

Hope it did not set you back much money.

Can not see using it in windy weather and today was calm with melted snow so I climbed up today.
What’s the resolution ?

14 mega pixel Bob there is different settings not to get the fish bowl effect. also it has been tested in 30 mph winds , these are not play toys this one is built for photographers.I remember when I first posted my camera pole and the same negativity about it .I ordered one today . It will have certain uses that the camera poles or a ladder could not do, plus I believe there will be some side business from it. play toys around $200 and will not stay still in windy conditions.

Side work as a private investigator ?
Seriously though you paid $200 ?

First one i paid for was 200 but I order one like Linas it be here this week .
First one worked fine but as you said it was not good in the wind . Watch a few videos for the one Linas got you be impressed. No i was thinking of insurance claims and aerial videos for agents listings . we have Mountain listings you know

$1200 which I will make in 1 day when I do these.
I can land it on the roof if I want to get close and I can select a FOV. I just needed a couple frames from the video to show that the roof was trashed.
How much did you spend on that Samsung camera last year? How’s that working out for you?:stuck_out_tongue:
Here’s the specs.

Are you interested in buying my ladders or extension pole set-up??

OK good point we all have our toys.
I tried using the Samsung again a few days ago onsite with just an Agent for company and between the talking and looking around never made it past 30 - 40 shots.
Switched back to old trusty .

You guys can have fun typing on site while for me thats 10 seconds @ issue distracting me from looking and talking which are the most important skills while doing the actual inspection.

Sunday had 1st time Home buyers purchasing a flip and there is no way I could have taught them everything while sticking my face on a screen not to mention the calls (2) for inspections while there and a sellers rep laying on the couch with bad back begging me to hurry.

Not saying I am not interested in the drone thing at all, just questioning.

I purchased and sold the AR Drone. It had short battery life and was very finicky. There are also a lot of trees around here. I almost lost it a couple times on the top of the trees.
It was a nice thought, although that one in particular is a waste of money.
$1600 is a lot of money to loose something in a tree…I wish you luck

Rick i had the AR 2.0 i did find it hard to control how ever comparing to the one mention is not even close .

You got what you paid for…a toy.
The latest drones have a return to home failsafe mode that returns the drone to within 6’ of the launch location if the drone loses it’s signal with the controller.
It climbs to 60-200’ to avoid trees and buildings before it returns home.

Been using a drone for months. I actually have two a quad and a hexacopter. The quad has 8 minute flight time with a fixed gopro. The hex has 18 minutes with FPV, 3 axis gimbal with tilt and pan with a gopro. Paid for themselves first three roofs I did.

Chuck

I’m curious how stable it will be during high winds. My main concer if I’m flying it and a strong gust picks up, how long & how far will it travel before it stabilizes.

Did they give you any specs on different wind speeds Linas?

It locks on to 6 or more GPS satellites before you launch it in the GPS mode. It compensates for headwinds or tailwinds from any direction.