Droning Rat syndrome

Has anyone had dealing with a client that attempts to get out of paying for a service by attempting, defamation of your character. I preformed a Limited mold inspection on an Apt that the renter thought was mold killing her. The apt manager cleaned the coils and wall before I arrived and the air came back negative. I also took two swabs one in the AC duct and one on a 6”x3” spot under a piece of tape. One came back, the visible one under the AC unit. She wanted a report she could use to threaten the Apt. complex with. She did not get the results she was looking for so she began to discredit my company. This woman call the EPA, BBB, DPR, NACHI, ESA, MY CHAMBER, ICC, Dr Shane from ProLab, Book writers, anyone who will listen and who knows who else. She has lied to my associations saying I charged $600 and reneged on the deal when just the opposite happened as a good gesture on my part discounted her $25 for initial inspection and discounted $25 for to additional samples the total was $300 for a 2.5 hour inspection with 4 samples not including the time to type report on a 850 sq ft apt.

The Apt manager sent her an eviction notice for her continued harassment and she is not allowed to call the office. The check I received was dated two days after the inspection, when she said the funds would be there then. That was my fault to not check the date on check but I did not have a problem waiting 4 days but not weeks. She called 3 or 4 times a day telling how she will pay she says her boss would reimburse her, Then her boss would give me a credit card, then a priest will pay, then her boss and on and on after I requested her to just let me know when the funds would be available. After her boss called a week later and I told him I would not accept a credit card because and I did not want to loose $20 more dollars for service charges. Now, I’m having to clear my name with the truth and thanks to my use of e-mail most communications are documented.

Beware the lessons I learned from this are scary. I my have to start taking cash or swipe credit no checks. Also I need to screen my client better and not take every job because I need the money. Can anyone give some advice besides a bullet.

David

David,
Sorry to hear of the BS you’re going through. My advice on the check…call her and inform her that you will deposit her check tomorrow, period. Tomorrow, deposit her check! Assuming it comes back unpaid (bounced), take the check down to your local Police Dept. or Sheriff Dept. and file a complaint for FRAUD. Most all PD’s have a dept. to handle bad checks. Also, consider filing a suit in small claims court (for the FULL amount). Let her tell her story to the judge. Judges don’t take kindly to forgers.

Jeff

Hey Bill Siegel if your looking you should remember this conversation last week at our meeting. I knew this simple transaction was going south. before she went completely nuts.

Can you say…“Theft of Services” ???

Bad deal!!!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,
I’m an honest person and your advice makes good sense. Her boss call this moring and said he is sending a check today. My camber of commerce has assisted me after her insane behavior really kicked in. Luckly I have some friends in high level positions of my associations that can see through this and support my position. I’m tempted to do what you recommended but that would not go along with the agreement made with my chamber.

Thanks Jeff,
I’m an honest person and your advice makes good sense. Her boss call this moring and said he is sending a check today. My camber of commerce has assisted me after her insane behavior really kicked in. Luckly I have some friends in high level positions of my associations that can see through this and support my position. I’m tempted to do what you recommended but that would not go along with the agreement made with my chamber.

Most cities/towns have laws that services over a certain amount that are paid with checks that are no good are theft at best and can be felonies at certain levels. If it was $600, then if not paid within a certain time frame you are allowed to triple the charges. That will carry the threat with it of being over $1500 and a felony. If she wants to avoid a felony on her record she should pony up and pay you. Definitely turn it into the Sheriff’s dept. though. That’s the least you should do. It’s not only your responsibilty to yourself, it’s your responsibility to your community. What about the next person she takes advantage of. You will be responsible for not having stopped her.

I didn’t see that her boss is sending the check. That is good, but if not, everyone should stand up for themselves to protect the next person. It’s very important to not let these things go.

This is good advice!

CASH THE CHECK! Then go after her a$$ is court!

I’m waiting until the end of the week to see if payment arrives in the mean time I will talk to the chief of police in Cooper City a chamber member and available any time to talk. She has now conacted several associates I know to preform another inspection, I gave them the heads up.

One associate recommended having hear sign a release and giving her check back, but she has already attempted to discredit me. and then she got exactly what she wanted.