Dual P-traps for Kitchen Sink?

Correct same in my area.

I own both books. The IRC is a watered down version of the IPC for residential buildings. Plumbing codes in the IRC match the IPC. Not all IRC codes are in the IPC for obvious reasons.

Ok, so I did some more digging and came up with 2 separate “official” answers. In the 2015 IPC section 1002.1 the very last sentence states “a fixture shall not be double trapped”. Ok, fine. I read elsewhere that each “well” of a kitchen sink may have it’s own trap and discharge into the DWV pipe via a Y fitting. (can’t find the code source to quote, didn’t save it I guess. my bad.) I guess it’s all on how far one digs into the overlapping codes and how one may interpret what is written.
So in this particular situation, IF there was an additional trap on the horizontal leg after the Y fitting, it would be considered a double trap. Hopefully this understanding is correct…
BTW, @mwilles , @srechkin, I found a link to what COLORADO state regulations are in relation to the 2018 IPC. Going to try to include it here: https://www.sos.state.co.us/CCR/GenerateRulePdf.do?ruleVersionId=6699&fileName=3%20CCR%20720-1#:~:text=CODE%20OF%20COLORADO%20REGULATIONS%203%20CCR%20720-1%20State,durability%20and%20safety.%20This%20description%20requires%20that%20the
Oh, the dishwasher stand pipe in the photos although looks like crap, does meet code requirements. There are diagrams in the link above.

I have seen all 3 of these setups many o’ time and were the norm for many years, but times are a changing apparently. did you draw these pics yourself? :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a FYI this is not a double trap set up.

1 Like

After I did more reading, I kind of figured that was the case. If there would have been yet another trap for the sink only, then it would be. The whole set up could have been done with one trap I think if the disposal was rotated or just put on the other side of the sink…

NO! To simplify all the gobble-dy-gook being posted… 2 traps may not be installed… IN LINE OF EACH OTHER… on the same horizontal run!!

2 Likes

Hello JJ, Is it getting cold in your neck of the woods yet?? I have figured out the whole in line thing. This is where code language can get confusing since a double sink with 2 drains could be considered a single fixture. It’s all in how you look at it and prolly how bad the brown bottle fog is from the night before… LOL… Thank you, btw…

1 Like

These are always fun!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hey so I’m in a pickle. I tried to take apart my sink to unclog and cant for the life of me figure out how to reattach. These pipes were once together and i know i should of taken a pic, but who knew!!

Mr @mwilles will be right over to fix it up real good.

3 Likes

Get a couple of these, that should do it.

5 Likes

It should look something similar to this.

3 Likes

Is that a Snappy Trap? :grin:

3 Likes

It’s a Mister Snappy Trap XLT. :wink::wink:

1 Like

Thank you for the diagram but i still cant get the 3 pieces to fit as they just were. Here’s anothet pic of the 3 i took off. I give all my props to you guys this is super hard

!

The #4 piece you have attached to the sink’s drain at the moment, you need to remove and re-use it correctly. If you still cannot get this done, get someone to help you.

7 Likes

Simon you’re my hero and soo smart!! Thank you soooooo much for your quick repsonse and correct i might add! I must of put that #4 piece back and forgot or something. And know i can reuse my kitchen again after like a week or longer! Omg i literally cant thank you and everyone else who commented and tried to help. I owe you a tip! Send me your cashapp,
or venmo either here or email me at Janelwilliams1@gmail.com. Idk how i found this forum but i am soo happy i did and will share with my family and friends! Yayyyyy!!!:clap:t5::partying_face::wink::tada::tada:
![20220219_112657|375x500](upload://9uNmwoEbaPk9yxGjI8NUAXBDIJB.jpeg

5 Likes

That’s just what Simon needed to help boost his self confidence. Lol. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Hmm, not sure what to make of this. Doesn’t seem right to me. And what’s the purpose? Can this be an issue? Seems like standing water would eventually leak out from the first trap.

You are correct!

1 Like