Dura-Pex (NIBCO)Problems

I had a new house built less than ten years ago… I used Nibco fittings… I have had four 1/2 inch elbows blow a hole in the middle of the elbow… The fittings are rotting away and Nibco told be it is the way they were installed… Not being debured was the first answer and now in writting they say it is the way it was installed… To much flux… The elbows are rotting away… This has been a very expensive problem… I do not know what to do on this end as of yet…

We built a house in 2007 and have Dura-Pex piping. We have had two leaks causing thousands of dollars of damage. Can anyone tell me if there is a class action lawsuit? Thank you Karen Lloyd 803-371-2203

Help Help Help. Our house was built in 2008 with dura pex piping. Our first leak came 18 myths after move in. We have had five more since then. We can’t afford to have our entire plumbing replaced, financially we are drained from this. Has anyone heard any more info on a class action suit. We have talked to an attorney and he said it would take at least $100,000 to start to fund the case!!! He said our best bet was to find a huge law firm that would be willing to take the case for a class action suit? Anyone found one? I have not been lucky in finding such.

We live in Baldwin County, Foley, and have had one leak a year ago. Now we have another one in the same area (both leaks were in the hot water pipes out by the water heater). We have a moldy mess in our kitchen as we did not find it for several weeks. We contacted the Builder (HERITAGE HOMES IN MOBILE, AL) AND THEY REFUSED TO DO ANYTHING TO HELP US. Good luck, jjmccrory61@gmail.com PS, Is there a lawsuit yet?

Let me know if you find one. jjmccrory61@gmail.com

Same problem as most of you. Two leaks @ different times in 3/4" HW lines within the past month. Both within 4 feet of the HW Tank in the wall. Red Clay colored CPI Dura-PEX. House was built in 1999 in south Charlotte.

I’ve noticed several of you live in the surrounding Charlotte area (coincidence or could mean something).

I’m reluctant to fix the sheetrock/floor until I know it won’t happen again. $1,000 insurance deductible, so I’ve got to fix myself. Contact me at "hogsjowl@aol.com" if I can help or you can help.

Sorry to hear about that. 1999 house probably does not have a thermal expansion device. You really need one, adding the tank type is easy if you have a pex crimping tool. Failures seem to be from 1999 through 2008 or so so a bad batch of pipe is not the whole story. There were tons of this stuff used so some failures are to be expected.
Did yours split lengthwise or leak at a fitting?

edit: I can’t edit one of my earlier posts for some reason. More information available lots of places online so I added one link below. Also found out that the PEX in my house was not the problem stuff.

There is a class action lawsuit nibco for the fittings and pipes

I promise i will not let this happen again! i am taking care of this for all of us! im MADDDDDD! ITS ON!

Just had my 5th pipe failure since May 2012. These past two happened on the same day. The plumber did his $180 repair Saturday morning and Saturday night the next one burst. These have been pinholes and/or small fractures, hot water pipe mostly, but one was on the cold line that was bent 90 degrees to go down into a bathroom. Insurance is now saying there will be a $500 deductible for EACH occurrence. Isn’t a deductible an amount you are supposed to pay for a year? I am waiting for more to happen to have one big repair, just living with holes in the walls and ceilings for who knows how long.

We have lowered our pressure to 40-psi. We are down to 100 degrees on the water heater. We turn off the water when we leave overnight and considering doing it when we leave for work. It’s constant worrying. I think the best option is to let the next one go. Leave the house, go on vacation and let it all work itself out and starting over.

Fort Mill, SC

Charlotte NC -2003 home - Builder is John Wieland - Plumbing Sub was Pikes Plumbing - I just discovered my second pin-hole leak in my crawl-space in 8 months. This one has been misting my crawl-space for who knows how long. The insurance company just removed most of the insulation and did a thorough mold remediation. The house was built in 2003 in South Charlotte, NC. The pipe is white 3/4" CPI Dura Pex. Both leaks were within 10 feet of the hot-water heater; however, one leak was in the hot line, the other in the cold line. There have been issues with excessive water pressure in the neighborhood over the years. The pipe exhibited a longitudinal “failure/weakening”.

Has anyone had similar issues?

NIBCO/CPI Durapex Piping – Investigation - Chimicles & Tikellis LLP
www.chimicles.com › New Investigations

This firm is taking statements for possible action…my 2004 house in Loxley, Alabama just had its first hotwater line leak about 15 feet from the hotwater heater inside the wall…Luckily we caught it before major flood damage…plumber repaired the section where the CPI durapex line has just split…not at a joint. He said houses in the area were all experiencing the same issues due to the durapex piping…doesn’t like it at all and told me it would burst again somewhere...RLong@Gulftel.com

this law firm is considering a class action. You can contact them here.

http://www.chimicles.com/nibcocpi-durapex-piping-investigation

Thanks for the info. I have contacted them to give them all my info, maybe it will help. I encourage everyone to contact them and tell them your story so we can get some help finally.

Please post your email address if you have had issues with Dura-Pex (Nibco) pipes bursting. I am collecting names to send to a lawyer re a class-action lawsuit.
Thanks.
Tina
reirizt@comporium.net

Alan and Kimberly Cole. House five years old, seven leaks, over 15k out of pocket, plus insurance claims. All nibco pex pipe splits
Email: kimberly.cole7@yahoo.com

Somebody please help us!!

Has any one considered making a face book page regarding these issues. Just so we could more easily communicate with one another.mi emailed the site regarding the attorneys investigating and got an immediate response so that’s a positive thing. If I can get a couple of people who think the fb thing is a good idea, I will start one. Just let me know! I am ready to fight folks! I am financially broken from all of this and mad as heck. I am slowly replacing all the water lines but have to do a little at a time due to cost! Who is with me???

Does anyone have a referencing website about this issue and whether the manufacturer is going to step up to the plate? I do quite a few inspections on homes 10-12 years old here and haven’t seen any issues as of now. I would surely like some solid information I can pass onto future clients.

Thanks,

old info http://www.zurnclassaction.com/

http://www.ask.com/web?q=pex+tubing+problems&askid=3d2a363c-8fca-404b-87ae-117c1430d9f9-0-us_gsb&kv=sdb&gc=0&dqi=nibco%20dura%20pex%20problems&qsrc=999&o=1577&l=dir

Like most folks posting here, we built house new in 2008. Had the first leak in 2010, under slab and cold water. Water started coming up from slab here the pipes penetrate foundation in half bath. Just a little over $24k in damage to half of wood floors down stairs. Since then we have had a total of 9 leaks, all under the slab, on both hot and cold water line. All leaks are smaller then a pin hole and can not been seen by the eye. Once water is applied, it will “mist” from the hole.

Well we thought we were lucky because it was all under the slab. No longer the case, we just experienced our first leak in the floor joist between first and second floor. This is leak number 10. I have kept every piece cut and replaced for testing.

This is complete pipe failure. We have had pressure regulator set at 75 PSI and hot water temperature at 100f. Since first leak. Leaks have occurred about every 3 to 4 months for the last 3 years.

All pipe is NIBCO Dura-Pex 1/2" red and I am looking for information regarding any class action suit in place. I have talk to Chubb and they have an open claim for NIBCO but only as the secondary and not primary. Chubb said you have to file a claim with the primary insurance representing NIBCO but will not release NIBCO primary insurer information.

This has been extremely frustrating when you build a $900k house to only have a pipe problem you would never expect or think about. The house has been in total disarray for the last 2 years. Just when we think we have discovered the final leak, a new one occurs.

Wife and I, like others, are upset and mad as hell and want NIBCO to step up and take responsibility for faulty pipe.

We are in Tulsa Oklahoma. We had 2 seperate plumbing companies inspect and make repairs. One was the original company during construction, the other is a well respected large company in the area. Both companies said the same thing, defective PEX piping. We are at a point to start replace all piping and would like to file a claim before beginning the work. We expect the cost to run in excess of $100k by the time we remove wood flooring, travertine tile, the Sheetrock, trim, painting ect. for the piping in between floors.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please email at craig.dewees@gmail.com