early 1900 in floor heater

Keith its amazing how on this BB one person can be describing a type of equipment and someone else will form a picture in their mind of something that is totally different.

I don’t think I have ever observed the type of furnace you were describing.:slight_smile:
</IMG>

I see these often in southern California in homes built in the 30’s 40’s and 50’s. I will not light them or test them. I report them as an antiquated unit and recommend follow-up with a licensed HVAC contractor for further evaluation or replacement.

Very old (1900) furnaces were often made of cast iron pieces bolted together, with gaskets that could contain asbestos. Originally they would not have had any kind of pilot safety device (shuts off the gas if the pilot light goes out) or an automatic control like a thermostat.
None of this applies to 1970’s stuff, but if it is really old, that is what I would look for, an automatic gas valve and thermostat or a heat sensor close the furnace that shuts off the gas when a temperature is reached, these look like a fat wire that shrinks into a skinny wire, and go into the gas valve, which would have a knob to control temperature. Really old would just have a manual control that turns the flame higher or lower or off, along with a pilot light that is lit with a match, and no thermocouple that turns it off should the pilot go out.
I am sure that any old gas appliance without safety shut offs would totally freak out any local AHJ or gas utility, but your granny managed to survive without gas safety devices, that you are reading this is proof:-)
Also look for anything that could be asbestos.

I have a home built in 1900 that still has some type of radiator in the rafters under the living room, which feeds a very ornate grate. I was always told a coal stove was the orignal heat source, but is long gone. The radiator is very different looking, with the spikes that stick out of the main structure. I can’t find out any information online about these types of heat sources. Any information would be helpful. Also, is this worth anything given its age?

I used to shoot rubber bands into my grandmother’s floor heater!:laughing::laughing: