Easy Way to Begin to Determine Adequacy of Insulation in a Attic Space

Agreed. I was careless in the wording and got ahead of myself in the blog writing process.

I am new to trying to teach others.

I personally wouldn’t recommend any specific amount to add. Thats typically asking for trouble. Unless you are recommending that they add to code. (Don’t use the word code!!)

For example if someone has approximately R20 in my area I would simply suggest that “typically homes in this area have and are built with a value of R38” and that would be it.

If they have a ventilation problem that is obvious to you, then this is not going to be helpful.

That is why in the original post I said that this, Along with other information in your inspection, CAN be a good way of determining…

One of my teachers in middle school told me that I had to thoroughly understand the subject before I could explain it adequately. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Yes… those are the types of heat transfer…

And…

Heat transfer… is a type of energy transfer…

Did you even read the post?

I do understand the subject. I wasn’t trying to develop a course.

InterNACHI has wonderful information ( of which I have taken) in regards to energy. THAT is course material.

Everyone should take that material before commenting on anything energy related.

This was meant to be just another tool. Alongside the others that you would normally use.

I do however know that CLEARLY I am not the best teacher and left some information out. Before posting here again. I will make sure that every little detail is laid out for everyone.

Okay… …

I spend a-lot of time on the board and recognize you and also respect your opinion. So if you would like to point out the areas that I do not understand I would like to know.

Perhaps my years with companies in the Insulation industry in Georgia have all been taught to me by dumbasses.

Or I have a fundamental lack of understanding in the course material from InterNACHI (I did take every course related to energy that they have to offer)

Or I am just not a good writer and didn’t explain my thought process well enough.

All are possible which I know. So if you could help me understand what I am missing I would appreciate it.

I didn’t say that I understood what you are trying to get across. :nerd_face:

1 Like

“One of my teachers in middle school told me that I had to thoroughly understand the subject before I could teach it“

I just assumed from this post that you saw something wrong in what I said.

I was just meaning that If you do have a suggestion, that I would listen to it is all. As I said, I recognize and respect your opinion.

The guy sitting behind you at the movies is definitely going to get mad!

2 Likes

This is the most important tool to use during and inspection.

I had a team of lawyers and engineers try to pernitrate my legal vail. "50 plus page hypothetical document on the very subject you are referring to. .
Joe Ferry made sure that vail was not pernitrate. Insulation.

II. The inspector shall describe:

1. the type of insulation observed; and
  2. the approximate average depth of insulation observed at the unfinished attic floor area or roof structure.

III. The inspector shall report as in need of correction:

1. the general absence of insulation or ventilation in unfinished spaces.

IV. The inspector is not required to:

1. enter the attic or any unfinished spaces that are not readily accessible, or where entry could cause damage or, in the inspector’s opinion, pose a safety hazard.
  2. move, touch or disturb insulation.
  3. move, touch or disturb vapor retarders.
  4. break or otherwise damage the surface finish or weather seal on or around access panels or covers.
  5. identify the composition or R-value of insulation material.
  6. activate thermostatically operated fans.
  7. determine the types of materials used in insulation or wrapping of pipes, ducts, jackets, boilers or wiring.
  8. determine the adequacy of ventilation.
1 Like

I appreciate your helpful information on the thread instead of participating in the “who’s got the biggest you know what” contest.

I would like to add that this information is more useful in a maintenance inspection scenario. Not a real estate transaction scenario.

And at the end of the day, is more about showing the customer something that they can really see with their own eyes. If you just tell them that their insulation depth isn’t what it needs to be. Thats not quite as impactful as saying that and also showing them that their indoor heating/cooling is escaping into the attic.

Going to need double that size!

3 Likes

6 Likes

Kevin is back.

3 Likes

Fantastic, Merrick. Don’t stop. Keep going.

I use energy consumption as a model and the cost of energy to explain to my clients about efficiency.

How to Avoid Home Heat Loss: A Complete Guide

the US Energy Information Administration (EIA), about 27% of all US households’ energy consumption came from space heating units.
A: An estimated 25% of all heat loss occurs through the attic or roof of a home.
B: Roughly 35% of all heat loss in a home occurs through the walls.
C: About 15% of all heat loss in a home is through the floors and basement if your home has one.

By using an attic and insulation to draw correlation to energy loss is not prudent in my eyes.
One must look at the overall picture, Merrick.

Yes, thank you for that information. This post was never meant to be about the overall picture. Only meant to look at this specific component. If I didn’t originally make that clear I apologize.

While in the spirit of helping a customer I do find it also important to mention to them that according to the EPA, they can be saving 10-15% on heating and cooling costs by having a well insulated home.