Edging over shingle

I knew I wasn’t seeing things. Something just wasn’r right with the first pic. Now that we have an overall view of the installation, you’ve got issues with that shingle installation.

As Barry already stated, this is an improper shoddy installation of shingles.

All roofing shingles must be installed horizontally.

This is what the installation should look like…

http://www.certainteed.com/NR/rdonlyres/158614B5-D030-4659-A452-4B9BBE028796/0/classichorizonprairewoodhouse.jpg

Holy botched up installs…this is an unacceptable valley installation method PERIOD. Without going into great detail about what to look for in what is wrong with it, simply defer to a roofing contractor.

As for the shingles! They are not a bargain basement product, if you would look back past the 5 year point it is likely you will find that they are Certainteed, Landmark shingles, very likely to be the 40 year product, the color is Resawn Shake and if you need some I probably have a few squares left in my storage building. (I can send them one at a time, how many stamps would it take?)

Seriously, when you find something this obvious screwed up then I submit that worse things were done in places you cannot readily see. Cover your assets!

Check out www.certainteed.com and look for the technical instructions on installation of a shingle roof, you will get the specs and info you need there including pict’s to print out for proof if needed.

I didn’t even send in pictures of the second story, which had the wood shingles covered with asphalt. Not a smooth line across the roof.

I guess not putting a valley in is a pretty quick way to shingle.

The flashing on the porch roof to second story was also mostly missing with a large gob of tar to “seal” out the water.

Probably would have been better just to let the roof alone in the first place.

At least I can refer the client to some good news about the quality of the shingle. Even though they are going to have to be removed. Thanks, you mentioned they are from at least five years ago, did they quit making them, and if so for what reason?

Thanks
Randy

What a great way to say it…

Contact the roofer “Harry Homeowner” and request receipts for this installation. NO roofer would have applied defective shingles or the valleys this way and if it was done by a “quack roofer” they should be sued for tear-off, materials, and labor to reinstall correctly.

Wouldn’t be a hard case to win.

DV,
Thanks for the pic, good example.

“All roofing shingles must be installed horizontally.” except in this example :wink:

Certainteed dropped the use of the black granules and moved to the darked color of the granule blend in the shingle for use in the shading area. They were trying to tone down the shadow lines based on market survey’s.

How’s that for knowing too much about shingles!

Could someone please tell this client to clean his gutters before the snow flies. ha. ha.

Marcel