Education on home inspection Courses

As I’m going thru the courses
I’m having a hard time understanding half of this
What’s the best way to understand the material much better?

Hi, Antoine.
Happy to meet you. Welcome to InterNACHI and the message board.

I am mentoring my 14th pupal. He went through all the courses in roughly 7 months. 60 hours weekly.
He is on his last course, Fire places, chimneys and… Ops. I forgot.

Antione. Take your time. Take hand written notes. Do it at your own pace. Don’t try to rush the process.
Need help, get a mentor in your area.

Keep us posted and ask questions on the message board.
Reach out to Ben Gromicko. Ben’s the best.

1 Like

Just sent you a message. Fill out your profile so we know where you are situated.

Antoine, welcome to our forum!..Enjoy! :smile:

My solution, in addition to this forum, is YouTube - tons, and tons, of YouTube videos.

Also, I Google everything I don’t understand. There were a lot of terms and theories I didn’t understand. Youtube and Google have made a big difference in my home inspection education.

Lastly, don’t hesitate to ask questions on this forum! There are many knowledgeable people who seem very eager to share their experience with us newbies.

7 Likes

Good info, Saman!

Antoine, also ask at education@internachi.org for the link to the other local vides that will help you watch and learn.

Post it here, if you would. I seem to have lost it.

3 Likes

Welcome Antoine !!!

2 Likes

Just like to thanks everyone for being here

1 Like

I took courses through AHIT before I knew about InterNACHI and I didn’t understand it all that well, even though I passed the tests. Then I took courses here and things started to click. I think the courses were better explained but it was also the fact that it was repeated so my advice would be to review and repeat until you get it.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s just hundreds of hours worth of studying, watching 3d models on YouTube alot with videos on every topic that pertains to a home. Even for the online course I did I went through it about 22 times on my own time. Now that I have business I still stay up after midnight researching more information, its about trying to become a subject matter expert. It just takes time domt give up and do not quit.

4 Likes

Did the same thing. Good starter course for InterNACHI training, but not for $800. JMO…

4 Likes

Wish I knew about InterNACHI first.

4 Likes

If anyone is looking for some more study help, I suggest trying out InterNACHI’s Practice Test Questions.

True enough David. It’s one thing to just read the material and pass the tests but another to absorb it. The first time read through a lot of this stuff I find it just goes in one ear and out the other, not for lack of trying it’s just a lot of information being thrown at you all at once. I find that I don’t REALLY start absorbing this information until about the 2nd or 3rd time I go through it. I will not take money from a client until I know my stuff well and know that I am offering them a service that is worth the money they are paying for it.

3 Likes

I agree Shane!! I feel the same. If I can’t be of service to my clients, then I’m not beneficial to my company or them. Knowledge is key!

2 Likes

Hello! I’m new to this industry. I’m a veteran and retired nurse. I’m in the start-up phase of my business, Silver Foxx Property Solutions, LLC located in Lebanon, Pa. I’ll be running a local property preservation service (mortgage field services) and hope to build a relationship with the bankers, realtors and mortgage asset managers in the area to service their vacant and foreclosed properties. I decided to add property inspector to my services as an added value to my business. I have no experience but this program is more thorough than others I researched. I’m not planning to become a “master” but I would like to learn the basics. What courses should I focus on specifically to start and why? Thank you for feedback.

Try this: 15 Steps to Become a Successful Home Inspector - InterNACHI®

Also, you may want to take advantage of your Education Team at education@internachi.org

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll check it out. So far, I’ve taken the COVID-19 Safety Guidelines for Home Inspectors. Figured I’d get that out of the way because we don’t know how long this is going to last, might as well stay in compliance.

1 Like

I’d recommend starting with the courses required to get your CPI. It will give you a good understanding of the basic knowledge needed to pass the exam and understand what is involved in a home inspection.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m actually doing that. I’m already on my third course and will be finished by this evening. I really like the writing assignments. Reminds me of the nursing reports I had to do every day.

1 Like