Education

Hi Mike;

If I could pick your brain for just a moment. My Son reports for Navy Boot Camp on July 11, 2006. He’s currently entering as an E3 and will attend “A” school for Naval Intellegence. He’s recently been offered on two separate occasions, an increased signing bonus of $12K if he switches over to Nuclear Engineering. They’ve assured him it would not lead to Submarine duty. He meets the Navy next month for a tour of the Edison Nuclear Power Facility in San Clemente, CA… Any thoughts or advice for a 23 year old entering with an AA degree?

Thanks,

Will…

Will,

I know that you asked this question of Mike. So please pardon my interruption.

Advise your son to be leary of assurances and promises. The Navy has this great line when you are assigned somewhere other than what you were assured or pomised. If I remember correctly, it went something like this. The “Needs of the Navy” come first.

And yesterday’s promises are just that, yesterday’s. Today’s needs have changed, so we have new promises for you. Tomorrow’s needs will be different from today’s needs, so tomorrow we’ll have some more new promises for you. Stay tuned.

Graduate of Colonel Harland Saunders College of Chicken Knowledge with a post-grad degree in the 9’th spice ( minor in fries).

I’ll have to agree with John Bowman on this one, because that is exactly what happened to my Son before 911, when he joined the Army.

Just Graduated from College as a Pyhisical Therapist and had his Masters in that field. The recruiting office told him he would have basic training and proceed to Officers training in that field, and all his Stafford Loans would be paid for. Come back from Iraq as an E-5 four years later, they did pay his Stafford Loans, never saw Officers Training School, and the Irs was after him for the benifets he had received.
I had asked him after the recruiting incident if he had received all the promises in writing, and said no. He ended up being trained for an overglorified Paramedic and ended up being a Medic in Iraq.

The Government will place you where they want to fit the needs. That’s it.

Marcel

Hi!
Yes, I have a B.S. degree in Agriculture (non-relative) and an M.S. in Agricultural Engineering (soft-core lane). I have used the B.S. for most of my working life, and my M.S. very little, other than developing the ability for critical thinking and careful analytical thinking (I think I use that a lot in Home Inspection work). I also have a P.L. (Practical Learning) degree in Home Construction that I earned from building a house, from design to finish all by myself (essentially, every job involved except digging the hole, pouring the basement floor, and laying the carpet), otherwise I did everything, it took two years to finish while teaching high school, full time. My electrical work, (the complete system) passed the state inspection on all levels! I don’t mind bragging, too much.
So, YES! I do have an education after high school! Ouch!! Don’t hit me so hard for bragging, I think I earned the right!!
George Maher
Home - Safe Home, LLC
Fargo, ND

AA degree in Architecture from Orange Coast College and 25 years of OJT in architects offices, some project management (department stores) and some home inspecting as an employee.
Certificate in home inspecting from ITA

Dr. Vicodin, Dr. Cuervo, and Miss Margarita can help you. They charge, but they are very, very good. Tell them Russel Ray referred you. I think they have a Referral Rewards system, and I need the money. :smiley:

Grew up with four sisters…

BS in Construction Management
Licensed Builder
2 years commercial building superintendent
5 years home building superintendent
6 years as an electrician
2 as a laborer

Many independent classes i.e. radon, energy, mold (don’t get me started), real estate, building systems (security, fire, HVAC…), etc.

As I was getting my haircut at Supercuts the other day I was chatting with the barber about inspecting homes. I pointed out how strange it seemed that to cut hair they are required to take many classes before even being allowed to take the state exam to cut hair. In Colorado there are no requirements what so ever to inspect homes. I guess its buyer beware.

A good way to enter into the industry aside from becoming a member of NACHI is to do ride along with inspectors out of your inspection area. Doing this along with schooling and keeping up with trends will help you acquire the necessary skills to inspect.

The wonderful thing about inspecting is that no one will every know everything there is to know about being an inspector.