Electric permits required

In this panel there is a date stamp of 2020 and the panel looks new and neat. When an electrical update is done shouldn’t a permit be pulled? Also, if there are extra knockouts available why do they shove all the wiring through just the one?

Yes… … …typically.

It is a remote panel.
The breaker handles look high.
240.24 Overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible and shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform

1 Like

Good question.
I see Violations but I wait others to chime in.
Cables can not be used to support one another outside the panel.
Circuit cables must be secured within 12" inches from the enclosure.
Bushings are used to retain circuit cable protrusions.
Each circuit cable be secured within 12" inches from the enclosure.

1 Like

I agree with Robert you are not permitted to run all of the NM cables through that fitting. It appears that the back-fed main CB is not held in place by a fastener and that the service raceway lacks an insulating bushing. Since there is a main bonding jumper (green screw) in the neutral bar and a bare GEC I would assume that this is a service.

2 Likes

A permit is required in most cases, not always. There are homes that are located in rural areas where a permit is not required. I replaced an exterior panel for a relative recently and neither the small city or the county required a permit. The lineman from the electric company removed the cut out fuse at the transformer for me. Once I was finished with the panel, he came back and installed
It.
The installation shown appears to include multiple deficiencies including multiple conductors being installed in the same knockout.
That definitely looks like handyman type work.

Here in New Jersey a permit and inspection would be required for a panel replacement. With several visible violations in the photos this installation would fail.

Check with the State you are in. Some States govern all electrical work especially in rural areas without a local AHJ.

Robert,

It looks like there are four grounding busses - am I seeing that correctly? Any thoughts on why there would be so many?

Also, the upper right buss is a couple inches from the middle-right bus (which looks like it only has one grounding wire connected), any thoughts on why they would need another buss so close?

My thoughts too.

1 Like

In regards to the handyman work.

It appears the raceway bushing has a cap on it.

I’m looking at the raceway with the service entrance conductors (3/4 of the way down, offset to the right) and I don’t see a bushing. I do see a locknut which would be hidden by the bushing if the bushing were there.

Ok. I see now what you mean. Thanks.