Electric water heater?

You should probably write to the ICC and NFPA to alert them to their oversight in not addressing this potential risk to life and property.

The presence or absence of a similar code requirement for receptacle outlets has no bearing on whether the code exists or is enforceable for water heaters and other appliances in garages. I’m sure that you know that.

A different section of the California plumbing code under “Water heaters” says…

510.1 **Water heaters **generating a glow, spark or flame capable of igniting flammable vapors may be installed in a garage, provided the pilots, burners or **heating elements **and switches are at least 18" above the floor level.

Come to think of it, the outlets in my attached garage are located same height as the switches and receptacle’s ground pins are positioned upward…

Perhaps we are one step ahead of the rest in safety;-):D.

Yes every time I plug in an Electric heater or my compressor .

I will word my report in the future something like…

“Best practice would be to elevate the Water Heater to a minimum of 18 inches in order to avoid increased risk of sparking flammable gases.”

No need to differentiate type.

The T-stat on a residential electric water heater are #1) sealed contacts and #2) more than 18" above the bottom of the water heater so there is no reason to elevate the tank.

Marcel,
This is pretty much standard practice here also. I can’t remember the last time I saw a outlet installed lower than 36-40 inches in a garage (whether attached or detached).
Jeff

EVERY one? Even older models?

I’m 5 months late to the debate. But answer me this:

Do electric wall outlets, extension cords, refrigerators, freezers  or any other electrical devices also need to be elevated 18 inches? Don't all those items have the same potential to create a spark as an electric water heater?