Electrical Bonding Wires

Originally Posted By: Ben Gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Metal gas and water pipes in a house should be connected to the grounding bar inside the electrical panel. In case a copper water line becomes energized with some electricty, the bonding give a path for the loose electricity to go to back to the panel and trip the breaker.

Is the bonding wire required in NEC when the house has metal gas and/or water pipes?

Is a GEC (grounding-electrode conductor) installation required by NEC on all panels?

What about older electrical panel installations? Can I write in my report that, without regard to the house age or date of installation of the electrical panel, there must be installed according to NEC a GEC and a bonding wire?

Benjamin John Gromicko

Vice-President,

PEACH Inspections

NACHI & ASHI Member

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Ben,

The bonding wire is required by the NEC wether the house has metal pipes or not. Try section 250-71(a) of the NEC codes. Section 250-72 gives the different methods by which the panel can be bonded.

The panel is required to be grounded according to section 250-81 of the NEC. As for the writing in your report, I would. Just because GFCI protection was not around when these houses were built 100 years ago does not mean that GFCI protection should be overlooked or grandfathered, you are there to protect the safety of your clients. Grounding and bonding protects the occupants from chances of serious electrical shock.

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: Ben Gromicko

You’re a very interesting man, Joseph.

What ! Did ya memerize that stuff, or are you sitting at your computer with the NEC book in one hand and a smoke in the other?
:P

--
Benjamin John Gromicko
Vice-President,
PEACH Inspections
NACHI & ASHI Member

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Ben,

Ahhhh. Yeah the latter!

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz