Electrical Certification in FL?

Originally Posted By: dhicks1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have run across some clients who are asking me if I have a

Electrical Certification. Can I get a Certification without spending

a few thousand and a couple of years in school?

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

dhicks1 wrote:
I have run across some clients who are asking me if I have a
Electrical Certification. Can I get a Certification without spending
a few thousand and a couple of years in school?

Sounds like they are asking you to perform a 4-Point inspection for their insurance renewal, if that is the case... Electrical Certification = State License.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Joe

Getting the same question on 4 point inspections

I have been able to get one insurance company to accept my inspection report without being a lic. sparkie. It took a few emails.

IMO It is not $$ practical to pay the just rate to four inspectors for what the inc co's need and want for the average home. Now when you get up in the many million $$ area with a preamium to match - different story

A this point the inc co is satisfied with my reports. They did require proof of general lib inc - occupational license - workmans comp EXEMPTION. The report is to the home owner and they forward it to the inc co.

Those are the rules of the company that I a working with

rlb

Originally Posted By: dedwards

A certification is not the same as a license. You can go to practically any tech school in any county and go through the Residential Wiring program and receive a Certificate that is recognized by the State. A license is only needed if you intend to go into business in that particular field. A Certificate means you have completed the syllabus of training in that Building discipline that is recognized by the State of Florida. I went through all of this myself. It does not cost thousands of $$ to go to Tech school. For example in the county I live in the local tech schoolhouse has several of the county code inspectors on the Advisory Board of the building program, hence the program dovetails perfectly with what the county expects from the tradesman operating in their county. This was done on purpose. The course used to be 1800 hours but I think most are reduced to about 1350 hours because they finally recognized Core training did not need to become redundant. The math used for Carpentry, Plumbing, HVAC and Electrical is still the same math. Most of the tech schools I am aware of offer evening classes that take a couple of hours a night a couple nights a week. This is extremely good training, extremely cost effective and you end up with a certificate that is immediately recognized by the State. Why this has not been implemented as a resource for training for HI is beyond me because I have brought it to the attention of numerous people. The training is excellent. I personally know several people who went through training, went to the next step by taking the state license exam, and started their own very successful businesses after completion.

Lest anyone confuse what I am saying, I would not go get a license to do 4 points inspections, but if I wanted to fulfill the question of being “certified” I would go get the training. All too often these posts become arguements because someone else has a different opinion or experience. So I would investigate what is available locally for myself.

Doug,

I hear what you are saying... So, does Citizens accept your "certificate" to perform 4-Point inspections in Florida? I have an electrical contractors license from another state that they won't accept, so I'm wondering how you got them to accept your certificate. As far as I know Citizens will only accept an inspection report from state licensed electrical & roofing contractors.

ASHI has been in talks with Citizens and they are jointly developing a 4-Point SoP that will allow ASHI inspectors to do Citizens 4-Point inspections. I know of no other program that will currently allow non-licensed inspectors to perform these inspections.

--

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: jeffghooper

Quote:
A certification is not the same as a license.

NOT TRUE The term Certified MEANS Certified by the Stagte of Florida under 489. Read the Statute. You can not call yourself a Certified Electrician unless you are Licensed. State Law 489.

The insurance comanies are looking for a License. Been doing these for about 10 years now.

--
Jeff G. Hooper
(hooperette want a be) nachiBFD

Not saying you are a certified electrician. Simply stating that you have received the training through a State recognized training program and receive a Certificate of Training. I tried to be clear on that but guess I was not. Joe, you are exactly right. Some insurance carriers do not recognize anything other than a “licensed” tradesman. That is a toss of the dice. Some do, some do not. The underwriters I spoke to did not have a clue and were only going off the SOP sheet sitting in front of them. After some discussion and explanation several went back to their supervisors, came back and changed their policy. I almost did not post because I knew it was probably going to start a long protracted debate. I simply was answering the “original” question. “Do I have to spend thousands of dollars to get a certificate.” I ended it with…check into the available training in your local area. It was offered with those caveats. The training to become certified is out there if you look around. Good Luck.

Thanks Doug, got it.

~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Joe,

You are very welcome. This kind of runs along with what we were discussing on Sunday. I find many HI who had years and years of previous building trades training, experience and hands on real world backgrounds that come into the HI industry and get blind sided by a perceived notion they do not know anything because they are “just getting started”. People outside the HI world seem to know little about what a HI really is or does. Too many folks who are not HI have been to a little too helpful in trying to define us to the general public. (i.e. TV reporters whom I regard just above lawyers and used car salesmen) Someone may just be getting started in HI but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are just off the boat from Slovania. With your experience and background you should have no problem getting “blessed” by the State if you took a test. I figured your ICC quals should have put you over.

Originally Posted By: dhicks1

Thanks to all who replied.

This has helped in a great way. Looks like I’ll be going to tech school.