Electrical Experts Needed!!

Could some of you go to this page and give me your input on the power point presentation at the bottom of the page.

http://www.homeinspectorreferencemanual.com/index.php?pr=ENCYCLOPEDIA

Thanking you in advance,

John B.

Downloading it right now Mr. Bowman…I will let you know what I think of it…Once I can view it…:slight_smile:

Mr.Bowman,

I think it is a very nice introduction to electrical safety without a doubt, I did notice that some of the images would not load very well but that could be on my end but a few of them pixeled out.

I believe your goal here was to not give electrical examples but to simply show the dangers of electrical hazards which it does very well. I would suggest something about GFCI’s within this so that even in a safe electrical environement the HI knows to always suggest them for safety reasons.

Other than that I think it is a very nice introduction to safety, While I do go into panels a lot I do not wear 600V electricians gloves…hell I have been doing it for 18 years…but I always make a point to teach other electricians in my apprentice program to never wear any watches, rings or bracelets when viewing a panel as well…just in case.

Also if it is for the HI you may want to mention testing the panel with a SNIFFER prior to opening it or using the back of your hand to touch the cover because in doing this you eliminate the GRIP effect that could take place by actually grabbing the panel.....either way a good safety method to get a habit into doing.

Again…Very nice and I most certainly will use parts of it in my NACHI presentations…and elaborate where I may…as usual…:slight_smile:

Paul,

Thanks for the comments. GFCI’s will be a totally separate Power Point that I will add. Of course it will contain info on AFCI’s as well. I agree with you on the gloves. Never or very rarely have I worn them when working or inspecting a service panel. I do remember wearing them during a fire restoration project, and I always used them when I physically handled the Service Entrance or drip loop, during the inspection, etc. Good point on the bling bling jewelry. I did make mention of tapping the dead front with the knuckles of your right hand before handling the dead front. Must of read right over it.

Thanks for your input.

John B.

John,

There are some tweeks and fine tuning I could do on the safety issues, but it will take a little time if you can wait.

Mike Bledsoe

Certified Safety Executive
World Safety Organization

Michael,

I welcome your input. It can always be changed.

John B.

Good one, John. Simple, elegant and to the point.

Home inspectors may see it as a little rudamentry, but for new guys and Realtors, it is good.

I would make more of a point that, as the ‘expert’ on the scene, the HI is liable if anyone gets hurt or if some sort of ‘incident’ occures after the inspection.

But the layout and display and content is most engaging and interesting.

Great job, John.

John

People get in contact with voltage with current that does damage

The knowledge of what hurts is ok but and what you have put into the PP is excellent

BUT chapter 2 is needed

WHAT DOES ONE DO WHEN YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE BECOMES THE COMPLETE CKT??

First aid is best taught by someone that is trained in that area but some general knowledge never hurts.

1. Try never to work alone
  2. Pass the word fast if possible
  3. Remove the power from you or the person FAST
  4. Lay down

And the list goes on - on how to do all the above and also the “next steps”

This knowledge is good for one to know if you have kids and also for your kids to know if you get in to problems around the house while working on the Xmas lights

John – just my thoughts but please think about pulling back on some of what you have and adding some basic “what to do when the light goes on”

I was taught what to do before I was taught what caused it and how to stay out of trouble.

Perhaps backwards but I has stuck with me for many years

rlb

John:

Basic Electrical Safety presentation that is similar to many OSHA training seminars that I have attended over the years.

• Good for Entry Level Inspector.
  • Positive CEU for a Chapter Meeting (if the topic of the evening is Electrical).

If intended as a marketing piece, it needs work…

Joe

A little harsh but sort of yes

John

Sorry

rlb

I have seen this to be successful.

I have also seen the rescuer succumb to his best intentions.

Good, all HIs should see this more then once.
A little harsh to be shown out side our industry.
I have seen this type of burn more then once .
Unfortunatly too many HIs do not understand how serious electricty is .
Thanks John …Roy Sr a retired sparky.

The more I hear,
the more I see!
NACHI is the one for me !
Roy Cooke R.H.I. Royshomeinspection.com
[FONT=Verdana]A HAPPY NACHI MEMBER,… More find this out ever day![/FONT]

page 7
***Respiratory ***arrest …

overall a very nice presentation, Sir…

Safety is the number 1 priority period… We need a constant reminder to avoid the complacency that can happen at times. You hear of professionals getting carried away and getting hurt / killed. Why? Because your safety conscious the very first time and too confident the “last” time.:frowning:

There are check lists (pre-flight) for airline pilots, so why not check lists for home inspectors…and a little reminder once and a while :wink: you can get killed easy on this job.

What is the expression:

“There are bold ones and old ones but there are NO old bold ones”…