Electrical panel addition

Originally Posted By: dcarroll
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected this panel today. What is the item attached to the side of the panel? It is spliced to a wire going to a 20amp double breaker (240 volts).

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/DCP_00072.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Where do the (low voltage?) wires go on the outside? It looks like a transformer. My first thiought was surge protector until I saw the wires on the outside.

It was impossible to tell where the wires are going. No basement or crawl space. Couldn’t get on top either. No attic. It had a suspended cieling but there was insulation liad on top of that, and I didn’t want to start moving too many things. I had to remove paneling to get to the screws holding the cover on the electrical panel.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Because of the 240v primary I would guess it is part of the HVAC. If you are still looking I would start around the air handler/furnace, looking for the same wire coming out.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Connected in a strange manner.

[ Image: what's this? ]

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Looks to me like a “RIB” ( Relay In a Box.) I am 99% sure of that. icon_smile.gif

My best guess is it controls a piece of 240 volt electric heat and the two low voltage wires run to a low volt thermostat.

This RIB and the low volt T-stat could very well beat the price of a line volt T-stat. Particularly if you want a T-stat with night set back etc.

JMO, but I find line volt T-stats to be notoriously inaccurate and the differential is larger than advertised.

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Bob,

Are you talking about inaccurate as to maintaining temperature, or inaccurate in voltage ratings?

Joe Myers

I think Bob Badger has hit the nail on the head. There was a low voltage thermostat controlling two 6’ electric baseboard heating units. If you look further up in the panel there is a 15 amp linked breaker and both sides are double tapped and that probably feeds the baseboard heating units in the next room that have a high voltage thermostat.

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

jmyers wrote:
Bob,

Are you talking about inaccurate as to maintaining temperature, or inaccurate in voltage ratings?

Joe Myers

Temperature, and what I dislike the most is the large differential, the number of degrees between turn on and turn off.

With a simple low volt T-stat you can, if you want to, keep the differential tight. In my own steam heated house I have the heat anticipator setting on my T-stat set so the radiators stay a constant warm instead of going hot then cold with all the associated noise of expanding and contracting pipes.

I have never seen heat anticipator settings on line volt stats and if you set one of these to 70F turn on may be at 68 F and off will be at 71 F.

I do not find this comfortable.

JMO, Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum