electrical panel clearance issues

Common sense , Old house, Older panel . Looks fine.
Want to mention something just it wouldn’t meet today’s standards . will it be moved not likely.
Should be here, where panels are only 6 inches of the ground outside . Now that one i cant figure out.

Thank you for starting this perspective Dale. I erased my post. U know Y…

Andrew, All I have to add is that when you find stuff like this, put on your common scene hat, take a look around and see if there are potential issues that will adversely effect the “current” home owner.

If you can’t access the panel, if it is unsafe to do so, if it will cost >$500 more for an electrician to work on the service… Let the client know.

Just to tell the client that a 1970’s house does not conform to todays code is a real “where’s your sign” moment for you.

Wait till you have to deal with the 2011 NEC changes. Are you going to require everyone to AFCI everything in the house with a 2 wire system? Are you going to demand tamper proof outlets? Demand components that don’t exist yet?

I hope your not just trying to “justify” your existence by what you know, like so many inspectors do. You will “justify” yourself right out of future referrals and jobs as an inspector.

In the energy efficiency analysis part of my business, there are recommendations that can be made that are practical and will reduce the use of energy that results in either a return on the investment, improved environmental health, or improved comfort.

There are also recommendations that will save energy that are impractical and of no actual value to the client. Retrofitting an existing structure with on-demand hot water is an example. Changing out single pane windows that are in good working order for double pane windows is another example of what NOT to do.

In this case, we have a code rule that was not applied at installation. Does the existing configuration present a real danger to a non-electrician who simply needs enough room to operate the breakers? If so, I would recommend the change. If not, I would remark on the installation that appears to have been done without a permit and follow-up inspection by the AJH and recommend a permit search so that some future AHJ inspection does not force the client to tear it out and move it. But calling it out as a “defect” (I don’t really care at all how it might affect the used house salesman…but, still…) would not be the first choice I would make.

if it was me, and I noticed the clearance not being to current standards and I thought I should comment about it, I would write something like this.

“The clearance in front of the Electrical Panel does not meet current standards, but was considered adequate in the past.” (this would be informational only and not an action/summary item IMO)

If/when the panel gets the next replacement/upgrade the NEC being used at this time in this Jurisdiction will dictate clearances.

IMO “Knowledge” of what is correct and what is incorrect is a double edged sword. If I know it, and I see it, and it registers, I report it. :slight_smile:

IMO, It is not for me to decide to ignore things I see and not comment on them.

Agreed. Nothing you say “requires” the panel to be moved. Word your narrative to make it a recommendation if you plan to address it. I would probably say something like it “does not meet today’s commonly accepted electrical standards with regards to clearance” but would not be to harsh about that particular panel.

Lets take this a bit further. Then do you mention the bedrooms not having AFCI’s? Are GFCI’s Installed in ALL places they are suppose to be? Is there an auto reverse on the garage door opener? is there R-30 insulation within the attic?

You can go on and on and on with older homes. When you start mentioning “safety” and present “code” issues where does it stop?

Russ,

Do you recommend GFCI within 6 ft of water sources on all older homes?

I do. I also recommend whatever energy efficiency upgrades that are obviously needed, as well.

But ALL safety measures that are available yet lacking should be included in every inspection report regardless of the age of the home, IMO

We have to remember that the inspection report is NOT necessarily limited to be strictly used as a tool for negotiating the purchase of a home, only. It can also serve as a punch list for the new home buyer as he lives in it and maintains it.

I do, but just as a safety upgrade, not as a deficency.

[quote=“rhensel, post:26, topic:54339”]

Lets take this a bit further. Then do you mention there R-30 insulation within the attic? quote]

I almost always make some kind of remark if its at least not 9 inches (The lenght of my led stinger btw. Thats a freebe for you guys). If the house is 30 years old and have 5 or 6 inches, it has either settled or was never enough and I will wirte it up. If I can see the bottom of the trusses it goes in the repair section.

Because I am a Long Time Professional Inspector (in more than one Discipline) and take my job seriously, if I see it, I report it.

What get’s done with the imparted info is not my business. :slight_smile:

I comment on the depth and type of Insualtion

Lack of Bedroom AFCI’s, GFCI’s etc.

All depends how you report it, Defects or Recommended upgrades for Saftey of the occupants.
Anything different, you are acting as a Code Enforcement in disguise for a house that is grandfathered from the recent code updates. :slight_smile: